Rodamir
Rodamir
United States
Local time: 03:26
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 9, 2018

I received a request for a quotation (apparently though Proz.com) of a translation from English to Spanish from someone named Terry Cole, with gmail address: [email protected]. Never asked for CV or any qualifications. I quoted for a document the person sent me and my quote was immediately accepted with a promise to pay in advance, by any means, but the person would not accept paying via PayPal or Payoneer. I said I would not deliver any... See more
I received a request for a quotation (apparently though Proz.com) of a translation from English to Spanish from someone named Terry Cole, with gmail address: [email protected]. Never asked for CV or any qualifications. I quoted for a document the person sent me and my quote was immediately accepted with a promise to pay in advance, by any means, but the person would not accept paying via PayPal or Payoneer. I said I would not deliver any work unless I received a check, and only after the check cleared. In doing some preliminary checking on some idioms, I found that other members were searching for the exact same phrases, to the point that I concluded that there were other translators doing exactly the same translation. I questioned the person on Friday night on this and I have not received any answer. I also asked this person for the company name and address, but have not received any answer either. This is a word of caution, as I I see it, this person might try to get you to give you bank information because they want to pay you fast, as the deadline would be approaching. Just a word of caution.Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:26
English to Italian
Already reported Sep 9, 2018

Here: https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/328511-scam_from_cole65270gmailcom_aka_terry_cole_sent_thru_prozcom_network.html

Yolanda Broad
Katarzyna Slowikova

Catherine Johanna Ausman Torres
Catherine Johanna Ausman Torres  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:26
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I regularly get requests from scammers. It behooves us to examine all translation requests carefully Sep 10, 2018

I always google the client, request advance payment, especially for new clients, or at least a substantial down payment for any new project.
You were right to request Paypal and not a check.
These scammers send out job offers by the thousand hoping to get a couple of hits.

Yolanda Broad

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:26
English to Czech
+ ...
It couldn't be more obvious Sep 10, 2018

@Rodamir: Reading almost any random post in this group would have saved you a lot of time with this a-hole. 99% of them deal with this type of scam.
For somebody with the address [email protected] even googling is a waste of time. Just hit the delete button and forget.

@vialenguas: Interestingly, I NEVER get this kind of scam emails (nor any others related to job offers) and was always wondering why.... Are you maybe re
... See more
@Rodamir: Reading almost any random post in this group would have saved you a lot of time with this a-hole. 99% of them deal with this type of scam.
For somebody with the address [email protected] even googling is a waste of time. Just hit the delete button and forget.

@vialenguas: Interestingly, I NEVER get this kind of scam emails (nor any others related to job offers) and was always wondering why.... Are you maybe registered in some other translation directories that show your email address or seem to be fishy enough to sell your data/have a week security etc.? Translationdirectory maybe...? I'm only registered in one more, a big one with an addictive beverage in the name.

[Edited at 2018-09-10 11:53 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

There is an apparent scammer trying to "contract" translators

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »