United States
Local time: 13:15
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 2, 2013

I received this e-mail today:

Greetings:
I would like to have your permission to expose your Cv details(Qualification,Education and Experience) to our client companies to persuade them dealing with us, so that we get a lot of work that we promise to return it back to you to work it.

Your name will be replaced with a different one , A great number of freelancers work with us at the same way and get a lot of work.

Try it with us and you will gain a good
... See more
I received this e-mail today:

Greetings:
I would like to have your permission to expose your Cv details(Qualification,Education and Experience) to our client companies to persuade them dealing with us, so that we get a lot of work that we promise to return it back to you to work it.

Your name will be replaced with a different one , A great number of freelancers work with us at the same way and get a lot of work.

Try it with us and you will gain a good income , while we will gain your trust.

We are looking forward to hearing from you

Sincerely

Here are the problems I am having with this:

1. Share my CV with clients? That's sound highly unusual.
2. The mail came from a gmail account, [email protected] ( I am willing to share the e-mail address, but am not sure if I should post it here). Googleing the name brought no results.
3. I always check websites, before answering a job post. This name doesn't ring a bell.

Any thoughts?
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Even if it's not a scam ... Jan 2, 2013

... give this one a pass. It doesn't sound like something a serious translator would respond to.

Tomislav Patarčić
Tomislav Patarčić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 19:15
Member (2013)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Maybe not a scam after all Jan 2, 2013

I can imagine a lot of situations (as indeed befell so recently) when I would want to provide my client with my CV and CVs of my closest collaborators. I believe that an agency would sometimes need to prove the ability of their translators so I am not amazed at all by that request. Especially when it comes to very demanding translation jobs.

However, everything else seems a bit suspicious and I wouldn't send them anything except frank best wishes.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:15
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Please submit a support request Jan 2, 2013

Dear TranslatorHeike,

Can you please submit the email you received to staff via support request including the full headers? You can find information on full headers at our dedicated wiki page

Regards,
Enrique

Heike Holthaus
Heike Holthaus  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not ProZ. Jan 2, 2013

The e-mail didn't come through ProZ. Do you still want me to send the e-mail to support?

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:15
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Yes, please Jan 2, 2013

TranslatorHeike wrote:

The e-mail didn't come through ProZ. Do you still want me to send the e-mail to support?

Yes, please, so we can better evaluate it.

Kind regards,
Enrique

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 20:15
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Why so scared of gmail? Jan 2, 2013

I have been a gmail user "since the beginning", and I really don't see why the fact that a gmail address is used would top your list over the fact that the following is stated:

"Your name will be replaced with a different one."

It's almost as if that would be ok if it were send from a 12 USD/year hosted "company" mail address...

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Gmail Jan 2, 2013

Steven Segaert wrote:

I have been a gmail user "since the beginning", and I really don't see why the fact that a gmail address is used would top your list over the fact that the following is stated:

"Your name will be replaced with a different one."

It's almost as if that would be ok if it were send from a 12 USD/year hosted "company" mail address...

Gmail is oftentimes used by scammers, although having an account with them or yahoo is not a guaranty for an offer being a scam.

Most scams ending up in my spam folder come from gmail and/or yahoo accounts. A legitimate company almost always invests in a distinct email account, usually the company's name. So, yes, gmail is, or at least can be a red flag.

Heike Holthaus
United States
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New development Jan 2, 2013

Meanwhile I requested company info, contact info and where the job was posted to verify that I actually sent anything to them. Here is the reply:

Greetings:
I am off work now, and I will send you what you want later on because posting site and number are filed at the company computers, where I will send you more information to be reassured.

Sincerely

Will be interessting to see if sends the requested info.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Nothing new, in fact... just a good old scam Jan 2, 2013

Hi folks,

If you would have read this forum attentively, you would find out immediately that all this is, in fact, something well known... please take a look at the sticky thread http://www.proz.com/topic/230462 and especially at http://www.proz.com/post/2028196#2028196

Natalia

felicij
felicij  Identity Verified
German to Slovenian
+ ...
changing name? Jan 2, 2013

No agency has ever asked me if they can use my CV with a different name. I consider this a scam. I would not want anybody to use my experience and knowledge to get (deceive) clients...

Heike Holthaus
United States
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sending CV with quote Jan 2, 2013

I am always questioning wether to send my CV with a quote. Does the outsourcer expect a CV with a quote? Or only when specifically asked for? Often times I don't send one for exactly the reason we are discussing here (and obiously before).
I just recently signed up with 2 European sites:
TranslationDirectory and TranslatorPub. I do not like TranslatorPub at all. There are a lot of job postings, but the job despription is basically non-existing. There is no info on the outsourcer ( at
... See more
I am always questioning wether to send my CV with a quote. Does the outsourcer expect a CV with a quote? Or only when specifically asked for? Often times I don't send one for exactly the reason we are discussing here (and obiously before).
I just recently signed up with 2 European sites:
TranslationDirectory and TranslatorPub. I do not like TranslatorPub at all. There are a lot of job postings, but the job despription is basically non-existing. There is no info on the outsourcer ( at least I can"t find it) either.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Please check the Blue Board before signing! Jan 2, 2013

And please be sure to check ALL available information there!

Heike Holthaus
United States
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found the source Jan 3, 2013

I actually did apply for this job:

Source language(s): English
Target language(s): Chinese, Italian, Portuguese, French, Spanish, German

Details of the project: We are a group of specialized translators translators work in the Gaza Strip and decided to work online so we need more freelancers.

Special requirements to the applicants: Well qualified of not less than 2 years experience

Sample text (50 to 200 words): 50 to 200 words

... See more
I actually did apply for this job:

Source language(s): English
Target language(s): Chinese, Italian, Portuguese, French, Spanish, German

Details of the project: We are a group of specialized translators translators work in the Gaza Strip and decided to work online so we need more freelancers.

Special requirements to the applicants: Well qualified of not less than 2 years experience

Sample text (50 to 200 words): 50 to 200 words

We will pay for this job 20 EUR per hour

Who can apply: Freelancers only

Deadline for applying: 12/20/2013

Keep this ad at the site permanently

shareef aabed
Israel
IP: 37.8.118.24 (N/A)
Posted on Wednesday, 26 Dec 2012, 10:48:49

It was posted on TranslationDirectory
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New scam?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »