Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Have received these emails and got very suspicious with the second...
Thread poster: Lise Leavitt
Gretel Peter
Gretel Peter
Local time: 12:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think I have just recieved one too Oct 21, 2012

Yesterday I recieved an email with kind of the same story, husband is dead, breast cancer translation and today I recieved another that says that she is trying to fullfill her husband's will and she wants me to proofread about drugs and teens.
It is not the same address or the same telephone number, but it is a scam, isn't it?
It would have been my first job since I quit everything to became a translator...

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Please read this ProZ article about recognizing translation scams Oct 21, 2012

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/3616/

Gretel Peter
Gretel Peter
Local time: 12:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Jeff Oct 21, 2012

I'll read it.

Ileana Fernandez Oakes
Ileana Fernandez Oakes  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
received same type of e-mail on Oct 22nd Oct 23, 2012

Hi colleagues:

I have received the same type of e-mails. Seems like there is another round of these e-mails. Be very careful please. Don't provide any personal or financial information.

Greetings to all.

Michelle michelleb
Michelle michelleb
Local time: 09:47
Spanish to English
thank you for saving me from a scam! from a Connie Valigora Oct 26, 2012

Hi all,
I received a similiar email from a Connie Valigora.
Below is her correspondence. Her 2nd email was too long to paste in here, but feel free to write me if you want more info. When I googled Jeanette M. Ellington (at end of 2nd email), I found this post. I was already very suspicious, but this confirmed it for me, so THANK YOU ALL!!!
Michelle

First email:
Hello,
Spanish to English job translation - I have a translation
job for you .First
... See more
Hi all,
Below is her correspondence. Her 2nd email was too long to paste in here, but feel free to write me if you want more info. When I googled Jeanette M. Ellington (at end of 2nd email), I found this post. I was already very suspicious, but this confirmed it for me, so THANK YOU ALL!!!
Michelle

First email:
Hello,
Spanish to English job translation - I have a translation
job for you .First of all, i will like to know if you can
work on this. Article documents of 2401 length on OBESITY IN
CHILDREN! Are you a part time translator or full time
translator. I will attach the documents for you on your
request. I have 9 days time line for this job. The article
:- Obesity is medical condition where excess body fat
accumulates to an extent that it becomes harmful to the
body. I'm doing this for Darryl, ,y beloved 14 yrs old son,
who died of Obesity some months back. I'm hard of hearing,
Register Nursing mother..
I will like to know the cost for the translation and
proofreading. I'm located in Columbus, Ohio. Feel free to
text my line for any question.
Connie
(614) 233-1797
[email protected]

Second email: [only the last 2 paragraphs are included here:]
I just started my own NGO which we got fund support from many individuals and companies. I chose this particular population based study, due to not taking it too serious. You will be getting full payment in mail as soon asap for quick job delivery. View the document:- http://uppit.com/2akjinh7xlrz/Obesity_in_children_article_DOC_2401.rtf

I want you to get back to me with your full contact details such as:- name, address, city, state, zip code, home&cell phone #, as i do seek fund to support this cause, payment will be through Us bank check, which will be issue and mail to you by the individual who is supporting this project. Mrs. Jeanette M. Ellington!
Collapse

Betsy Galbreath
Betsy Galbreath  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:47
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
I got the same email! Oct 26, 2012

I got the exact same email from "Connie" today. So glad I decided to check here on proz before I responded. Thanks to all for the heads up.

Betsy

[quote]michelleb wrote:

Hi all,
Michelle

[Edited at 2012-10-26 04:48 GMT]

Alan Wiser, MD
Alan Wiser, MD  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
German to English
Similar email scam! Oct 26, 2012

I just got a similar email from a "Hilary Snelling" of San Antonio, TX, as follows:

"You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Hilary Snelling
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 74.197.120.202
-----------

Good morning,

Germany to English job translation - I have a translation
... See more
I just got a similar email from a "Hilary Snelling" of San Antonio, TX, as follows:

"You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 74.197.120.202
-----------

Good morning,

work on this. Article documents of 5,664 words length on
OBESITY IN
CHILDREN! Are you a part time translator or full time
body. I'm doing this for Darryl, my beloved 14 yrs old son,
single warm hearted mom RN by profession.

proofreading. I'm located in San Antonio, TX. Feel free to

Hilary Snelling
(614) 233-1797"

Interestingly, the area code is for Columbus, OH, and is the same number in an email earlier reported, I think from Connie?

Is there a way that ProZ can block these emails, since they come through ProZ? How does one report such a scam?
Collapse

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
It's definitely a scam Oct 26, 2012

I got the same message about an hour ago ("Hilary/Connie" noticed the snafu with the phone number):

You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.] Author's IP address: 173.174.195.52
-----------

Good morning,

Germany to English job translation - I have a translation job for you .First of all, i will like to know if you c
... See more
I got the same message about an hour ago ("Hilary/Connie" noticed the snafu with the phone number):

You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.] Author's IP address: 173.174.195.52
-----------

Good morning,

Germany to English job translation - I have a translation job for you .First of all, i will like to know if you can work on this. Article documents of 5,664 words length on OBESITY IN CHILDREN! Are you a part time translator or full time translator. I will attach the documents for you on your request. I have 9 days time line for this job. The article
:- Obesity is medical condition where excess body fat accumulates to an extent that it becomes harmful to the body. I'm doing this for Darryl, my beloved 14 yrs old son, who died of Obesity some months back. I'm hard of hearing, single warm hearted mom RN by profession.

I will like to know the cost for the translation and proofreading. I'm located in San Antonio, TX. Feel free to text my line for any question.

Hilary Snelling
(210) 695-0819
Collapse

PeterIII
PeterIII  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
Received this email as well. Oct 26, 2012

My email was the "obesity article translation" version of the scam. Did a google search and it brought me here.

jenizaha2002
jenizaha2002  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 09:47
German to English
+ ...
Received same email on October 26, 2012 5:11 pm MST Oct 27, 2012

Also from Hilary Snelling with phone number
(210) 695-0819

Have a great weekend and don't work too hard

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:47
German to English
+ ...
The obesity e-mail Oct 27, 2012

I also got the obesity e-mail today...
I have seen this type of e-mail on proz also (It always says: GermanY to English
Translation)... not German to English Translation. I asked for full advance payment
(I understand now that this is not wise either... because I will have to give financial
information, I assume)... or get a fake check, at best... )...

This is an easy one to tell that it is a scam, because of the GermanY to English
phrase which I ha
... See more
I also got the obesity e-mail today...
I have seen this type of e-mail on proz also (It always says: GermanY to English
Translation)... not German to English Translation. I asked for full advance payment
(I understand now that this is not wise either... because I will have to give financial
information, I assume)... or get a fake check, at best... )...

This is an easy one to tell that it is a scam, because of the GermanY to English
phrase which I have seen at least 3-4 times... So the person, if this is a person,
does not know the difference between German and GermanY...

Case closed for me...
Collapse

Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)
Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:47
English to German
+ ...
There are more of those emails - My heart goes out to them but nothing more!! ;-) Oct 27, 2012

I got my first one on Friday, Oct 26. It was about poor Darryl and his mama Hilary, a RN (Registered Nurse). This one comes from Texas;-))

"Good morning,

OBESITY IN CHILDREN! Are you a part time translator or full time
translator. I will attach the documents for you on your... See more
I got my first one on Friday, Oct 26. It was about poor Darryl and his mama Hilary, a RN (Registered Nurse). This one comes from Texas;-))

"Good morning,

OBESITY IN CHILDREN! Are you a part time translator or full time
body. I'm doing this for Darryl, my beloved 14 yrs old son,
single warm hearted mom RN by profession.

proofreading. I'm located in San Antonio, TX. Feel free to
Hilary Snelling
(614) 233-1797

Today, Saturday Oct. 27, I got another one. This time it is about breast cancer and we have to "deal" with Frank and Mary. "My Name is FRANK HARRY, widower of late Wife MARY HARRY. I have a translation job for you. First of all i will like to
know if you can do this.. It is on Breast Cancer! Are you a
part time translator or full time translator. "

After that it continues as in Lise's email. First I was wondering what these people would get out of it. I believe it isn't really about not paying for a 2000 or 5000 words job (as annoying as it is). I believe they are after our personal information and try to get to bank accounts, identity theft, etc.

So, my heart goes out to them but nothing more!
Collapse

xxxhollycric (X)
xxxhollycric (X)  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
I almost fell for this scam too Nov 1, 2012

I received the same email from a supposed "Hilary Snelling" from Texas who asked me for my mailing address and phone number. "She" asked me to do a translation on childhood obesity. The German document I received for translation into English turned out to be a computer translation of some random article, and had more grammatical errors than I could count. That's when I first became suspicious. I researched the address and phone number sent to me by "Hilary" and they turned out to be fake. Don't ... See more
I received the same email from a supposed "Hilary Snelling" from Texas who asked me for my mailing address and phone number. "She" asked me to do a translation on childhood obesity. The German document I received for translation into English turned out to be a computer translation of some random article, and had more grammatical errors than I could count. That's when I first became suspicious. I researched the address and phone number sent to me by "Hilary" and they turned out to be fake. Don't be taken advantage of, my dear fellow translators. Apparently "Hilary Snelling" and "Connie Valigora" are the same scam artist.Collapse

Paul Hamburg
Paul Hamburg
United States
French to English
+ ...
same scam - Nov 1, 2012

I translated a text (odd text, strange German) and now received a proposal to launder a check.

Buyer beware!!!!!!

Julie Thompson
Julie Thompson  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
just got it too... Nov 1, 2012

Mine was from a lady in Ohio, but with the same name from Nevada. Glad I googled the name from Nevada!
And, thanks to those who reported it.

[Edited at 2012-11-01 20:51 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have received these emails and got very suspicious with the second...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »