Powwow: Montpellier - France

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Montpellier - France".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Mervy
Mervy
Canada
Local time: 10:36
French to English
+ ...
Message Jun 17, 2003

J'habite trés loin de Monpellier.
L'idée est bon.
Bon courage à tous.
Helly

Arnd Rothe
Arnd Rothe
France
Local time: 16:36
English to German
+ ...
Reminder is a good idea Jun 19, 2003

I will try to send a reminder around 3 July as eirinn suggested. I hope it works with this "Postings" function. Hope to see you all Arnd.

linmorigan (X)
linmorigan (X)
English to French
+ ...
Pas de problème Jun 20, 2003

J'ai pu me libérer, je suis impatiente de tous vous rencontrer. A bientôt.

eirinn
eirinn  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Great about the reminder and happy to meet you ! Jun 22, 2003

I could use tips on "how not to be squeezed out by translation agencies" as I believe the rates some imposed to me are way too low...
Also, I aim at getting work directly, ie. not from agencies, and learn about the do's and dont's (so, the translating marketing experinence that Arnd suggested).
I have quite some experience in patents translating, if this can be of any use to any of you.

See you there.
Isabelle

Pablo Dal Monte
Pablo Dal Monte
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agencies Jun 24, 2003

Hello Isabelle
I worked for a translation agency as head of Spanish department for almost 7 years, so I have a fairly good idea of what some agencies expect. I'll be glad to share my impressions.
Looking forward to that reminder.

eirinn
eirinn  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
portage salarial Jun 28, 2003

Great Traduce !

Something that I, personally, would like to hear about as well is about "portage salarial": better than the usual freelance status? Are you in portage salarial, are thinking about it, did you switch to it, do you prefer it to before etc.
Isabelle

linmorigan (X)
linmorigan (X)
English to French
+ ...
question toute bête... Jul 1, 2003

Si je me souviens bien le Café Riche est assez grand avec une terrasse importante, non ? Comment va-t-on se retrouver ? Bon, d'accord certains d'entre vous ont leur photo sur cette page, mais ce café est pas mal fréquenté à cette heure là. C'est juste une petite question idiote qui vient de se poser à mon cerveau embrumé par la chaleur !!!!

Meri Buettner
Meri Buettner
France
English to French
+ ...
Salut ! Et pas bête du tout... Jul 1, 2003

Je crois que Arnd va envoyer un mot sur cette question dans la journée...on a trouvé un autre endroit plus propice a la discussion (surtout au calme!) - c'est 5 min. un peu plus loin dans le centre historique. Il donnera des directions et moi je vais bientôt fournir un petit "visuelle". Sinon, il sera a la fontaine les 3 graces pour vous attendre (moi je serai au café/restaurant - ca s'appelle Le Roule ma Poule"). C'est plus calme, plus petit....
À bientôt!

Arnd Rothe
Arnd Rothe
France
English to German
+ ...
!!! meeting place changed !!! + Reminder Jul 1, 2003

Hello again to everyone interested in this powwow.
After intense e-mail exchange with Meri we propose a different place to meet (Café Riche & place de la Comédie being too crowded, noisy and hot on a Saturday afternoon).

The new place is called "Roule ma poule" it is on: 20, place Candolle Montpellier-old town.

I can pick you up at "place de la Comédie" at 14.30 and take you there.

Directions:
1. From Montpellier train station go up to "plac
... See more
Hello again to everyone interested in this powwow.
After intense e-mail exchange with Meri we propose a different place to meet (Café Riche & place de la Comédie being too crowded, noisy and hot on a Saturday afternoon).

The new place is called "Roule ma poule" it is on: 20, place Candolle Montpellier-old town.

I can pick you up at "place de la Comédie" at 14.30 and take you there.

Directions:
1. From Montpellier train station go up to "place de la Comédie" along rue de Maguelone (along the streetcar tracks)

2. On "place de la Comédie" at the "3 graces" fountain (which is smack in front of the Comédie or Opéra) I will wait with a little paper "powwow" at 14.30 and leave for the restaurant at 14.45

3. From the "3 graces" go up "rue de la Loge" ( the pedestrian street with the McDonalds on one side ), continue past the "place Jean Jaures" up to the Prefecture (French flag...) on the right.

4. After the Prefecture turn right (into the street that is to the left of the Prefecture when you are FACING it) - this is rue Cambaceres, later rue de l'Université

5. The 5th little street to your left is rue Candolle which opens to a little square after 50 meters - Roule ma poule is on the left hand side.

6. If you don't know where we are sitting - ask the owner who will be informed.

Thanks to Meri for working this out with me.

If there is any trouble you can call me on mobile +33 (0)663 499 506.

I will also edit the announcement now.

I am looking forward to seeing you all. I think we have found many interesting topics to talk about.

See you there
Arnd
Collapse

Arnd Rothe
Arnd Rothe
France
English to German
+ ...
a little map / petit plan Jul 4, 2003

Thanks to Meri there is a little map now which shows your way to the meeting place. You can download it at http://www.arbalist.com/plan.jpg

I will be at Place de la Comédie (3 graces fountain) between 14.30-45 anyway with a little sheet "powwow" for those who don't want to get lost in the little streets of Montpellier.

à demain
Arnd

Meri Buettner
Meri Buettner
France
English to French
+ ...
hey everyone... Jul 4, 2003

Arnd is worried about being all alone at the fountain with his sign now that there's a map showing how to get there...so hopefully someone will keep him company on their way! See you all tomorrow! ;o)

Paul VALET (X)
Paul VALET (X)  Identity Verified
France
Un lieu pour fantômes? Jul 4, 2003

Dans les "Pages jaunes" "Roule ma poule" n'existe pas, et la Place Candolle non plus.

Les organisateurs existent-ils?

Paul

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Ca doit exister, regardez! Jul 4, 2003

http://www.bioutifoul.com/montpellier/montpellier.php3?id_article=56

Voici un lien pour Roule ma Poule, Place Candolle.

Paul VALET (X)
Paul VALET (X)  Identity Verified
France
Bioutifoul! Jul 4, 2003

Alors ça roule .. ma collègue!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Montpellier - France

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »