Thread poster: Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:42
German to English
+ ...
Dec 11, 2022

of stuff they've liked and collected over the years: LPs, tapes, CDs, minidiscs, DVDs...?

What do you do with them? Most are available on Spotify anyway.

I just hate the thought of binning it all.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:42
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Collections are Good Dec 11, 2022

I have hundreds of music CD's that I've collected over the years. I always listen to them at home or in the car. I believe CD's have two distinct advantages that no other music media have. First, they are very compact. You can play them at home, or take them to the car with you. Second, their audio quality is superior (wide frequency range and wide dynamic range).

I consider myself an audiophile with pretty good knowledge of audio equipment. When I was in the States, I used to
... See more
I have hundreds of music CD's that I've collected over the years. I always listen to them at home or in the car. I believe CD's have two distinct advantages that no other music media have. First, they are very compact. You can play them at home, or take them to the car with you. Second, their audio quality is superior (wide frequency range and wide dynamic range).

I consider myself an audiophile with pretty good knowledge of audio equipment. When I was in the States, I used to subscribe to Audio and Stereo Review magazines all the time, and I learned a lot from them. Today's generation does not even know who an audiophile is. They get their music collection from online sources, which are always compromises as compared to CD's or records. By the way, I have a record collection as well. Records have some other distinct advantages, such as being more natural sounding, etc. On the other hand, records are not compact like CD's, and you cannot play them in your car.

Speaking of Spotify, I do not use it. In my opinion, Spotify is inferior to CD and record. Music is meant to be natural sounding. Digitation does not make music superior, it makes it inferior. If you want to listen to music in the purist form, you should listen to an artist or an instrument spontaneously, i.e. without any electronics in the way. Of course, that is not very practical so we resort to some form of electronics to listen to music. However, the less electronics involved, the better it is.

The most important components of an audio system are the speakers because we actually listen to music through the speakers. Therefore, you should choose your speakers very carefully, and invest in high quality pair of speakers. The best speakers are the ones that deliver sound in the most natural way, without distorting it. In that respect, I believe that American-made speakers are the best speakers in the world. There are literally hundreds of American speaker brands out there. They are expensive but they are good.

To answer your question, I think you should hang on to your collection of CD's, LP's, DVD's because they are priceless.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:42
Member (2008)
Italian to English
100s Dec 11, 2022

I have hundreds and hundreds of MP3 files collected over the years, to which I have added comprehensive notes.

Most of them were once vinyl LPs that I re-recorded to tape cassettes and then transferred to MP3s. There has been a dropping-off of quality, but I don't mind that. Listening to them now makes me nostalgic, in a sweet way.

I don't listen to them as much as I used to, but they're still there and sometimes I prefer them to Spotify because they're organised as my
... See more
I have hundreds and hundreds of MP3 files collected over the years, to which I have added comprehensive notes.

Most of them were once vinyl LPs that I re-recorded to tape cassettes and then transferred to MP3s. There has been a dropping-off of quality, but I don't mind that. Listening to them now makes me nostalgic, in a sweet way.

I don't listen to them as much as I used to, but they're still there and sometimes I prefer them to Spotify because they're organised as my personal collection.

I have an excellent audio system and when I want to, I can listen to Spotify through that system. Spotify is good because it enables me to listen to things I might not otherwise be aware of. But Spotify is bad because, as I understand it, the artist receives little or nothing for each play.

[Edited at 2022-12-11 21:53 GMT]
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
LOL Dec 11, 2022

And here I am drooling over vinyl records.

As Tom said, the artists get very little from streaming services. If you want to support them, buying physical copies is the way to go. I am a CD collector myself. It's not a huge library because I'd only buy an album if I really liked it, or if I'm a fan of the band/singer/musician. But I moved a lot, so I left all of them behind just t
... See more
And here I am drooling over vinyl records.

As Tom said, the artists get very little from streaming services. If you want to support them, buying physical copies is the way to go. I am a CD collector myself. It's not a huge library because I'd only buy an album if I really liked it, or if I'm a fan of the band/singer/musician. But I moved a lot, so I left all of them behind just to make relocating easier for me. They're probably either in my parents' or my grandmother's house.

What Atil Bey said is also true, CD is the superior medium when it comes to audio quality since it's (usually) lossless. I'm still regretting the fact that I ripped my CDs in lossy MP3 format. Should've used FLAC instead. What a fool. What a foolish fool.

I've always been a headphone guy, by the way. So I disagree with the speaker part.

P.S.
I don't use Spotify.

[Edited at 2022-12-12 08:22 GMT]
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN

Tanja Oresnik
Tanja Oresnik  Identity Verified
Slovenia
French to Slovenian
+ ...
Of course we do! Dec 11, 2022

I still have my cassettes from ages ago, as well as a big collection of some 400 music CDs and DVDs that I started collecting back at uni. I still listen to my albums. It's similar to books to me in a way, I have a lovely collection of books, even though there's Kindle and such available. I had my childhood books stored away at my parents' too, and now my kid can enjoy them. I just hope CD-players don't go out of production any time soon!

[Edited at 2022-12-11 11:44 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
LPs, cassettes and CDs... Dec 11, 2022

I still have them all and I will never bin them. They are part of my life.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
For decorative purposes I suppose Dec 11, 2022

CDs and LPs look cool on the shelves (can't say the same for cassettes/tapes though).
I don't remember the last time I sat through an entire album. I always seem to have a few favorite tracks from each album and don't bother to listen to the rest. So Youtube is great in that sense, you get to listen to your favorite tracks without having to rewind or fast forward, which was a pain in the arse in the 90s when listening to stuff on tapes.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
My collection of tapes ended up in the bin Dec 12, 2022

I recorded most of them myself, so many songs lacked intros. I'd listen to the radio at night and whenever I heard an intro that sounded interesting, I'd run to the other room where the tape recorder was and would hit 'record.' Some of those songs were really good, but a lot of them were garbage. Anyway, when the last machine that could play tapes died on me (it was U.S.-made, so I had to replace the transformer in it so it could run on 220V), all my tapes went in the bin. I still have a collect... See more
I recorded most of them myself, so many songs lacked intros. I'd listen to the radio at night and whenever I heard an intro that sounded interesting, I'd run to the other room where the tape recorder was and would hit 'record.' Some of those songs were really good, but a lot of them were garbage. Anyway, when the last machine that could play tapes died on me (it was U.S.-made, so I had to replace the transformer in it so it could run on 220V), all my tapes went in the bin. I still have a collection of LPs someone gave me, but all they do is collect dust. As a poor student looking for money at the turn of the millennia, I tried to sell some of them for cheap and failed (they weren't that rare, the shop already had them). Now all I have by way of music are about 3500 tracks that live in my phone memory. Most of them are lossless, but I don't think it would hurt if I had them converted to high-quality mp3

[Edited at 2022-12-12 05:58 GMT]
Collapse

Maciek Drobka

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Hurt Dec 12, 2022

Denis Fesik wrote:

Most of them are lossless, but I don't think it would hurt if I had them converted to high-quality mp3

It would, believe me. Especially if you listen to classical music.

Then again, I'm not expecting there are many people who pay attention to the French horns as greatly as I do. So you'll probably be all right.

[Edited at 2022-12-12 14:13 GMT]

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
Needledrop Dec 12, 2022

I recently came across a virtual online record player called needledrop that works with youtube music. (https://thomaspark.co/projects/needledrop/)
Sometimes I put it on my second screen in fullscreen and I find it quite calming with some Beethoven or Mendelssohn piano works.
On a similar theme, I found a lovely online virtual typew
... See more
I recently came across a virtual online record player called needledrop that works with youtube music. (https://thomaspark.co/projects/needledrop/)
Sometimes I put it on my second screen in fullscreen and I find it quite calming with some Beethoven or Mendelssohn piano works.
On a similar theme, I found a lovely online virtual typewriter too, http://mytypewriter.org/
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's not really relevant here, James. Dec 12, 2022

James Plastow wrote:

I recently came across a virtual online record player...

Feel free to start your own thread

Tom wrote:
I have hundreds and hundreds of MP3 files...

I've thousands of MP3 tracks too, but that's not my issue here. They don't take up space. I was just wondering what people do with tangible, physical sound carriers. I only ever touch mine to dust (or admire) them - the same goes for my record player, twin tape deck, CD players...

But speaking of Spotify and how they sorted things out with record companies etc., there's a documentary/biography, about 5 hours:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11564258/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I thought it was worth a watch. Is on Netflix, in Germany at least.

[Edited at 2022-12-12 23:18 GMT]

Simone Taylor
Simone Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2021)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes they do. Dec 13, 2022

My husband has thousands of vinyl records, and he is very proud of his collection. Listening to vinyl is no comparison to mp3 files. It's an experience. So much so that they are actually fashionable now. In our house, they have always been.

Don't bin them. Look in Discogs to see how much they are worth first. Some of them go for good money.

Francesca Grandinetti

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
collection Dec 13, 2022

Apologies Cilian, to answer your question more directly, I don't have any CDs, cassettes, or records any more, and I am not signed up to Spotify, I just listen to the radio or Youtube.

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

James Plastow wrote:

I recently came across a virtual online record player...

Feel free to start your own thread

Tom wrote:
I have hundreds and hundreds of MP3 files...

I've thousands of MP3 tracks too, but that's not my issue here. They don't take up space. I was just wondering what people do with tangible, physical sound carriers. I only ever touch mine to dust (or admire) them - the same goes for my record player, twin tape deck, CD players...

But speaking of Spotify and how they sorted things out with record companies etc., there's a documentary/biography, about 5 hours:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11564258/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I thought it was worth a watch. Is on Netflix, in Germany at least.

[Edited at 2022-12-12 23:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-12-13 00:21 GMT]

Cilian O'Tuama

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow, and thanks for the tip. Dec 13, 2022

Simone Taylor wrote:

My husband has thousands of vinyl records, and he is very proud of his collection. Listening to vinyl is no comparison to mp3 files. It's an experience. So much so that they are actually fashionable now. In our house, they have always been.

Don't bin them. Look in Discogs to see how much they are worth first. Some of them go for good money.

Digital files/streams have the advantage that you don't have to get up every few minutes And to be honest, soundwise there's not much difference - apart from the crackling.
But the thought of binning hurts. Even though they will probably never be used again, as I'm moving house so want to declutter.

'Tis tough

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I fully understand Dec 13, 2022

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I still have them all and I will never bin them. They are part of my life.

They define you to a certain extent. I feel that way too. Hence my Q.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do people nowadays have music collections

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »