Off topic: Just how tiny is our industry? Always with the familiar faces
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2022

Funny story

I recently stumbled across a "new" translator for a client that I had some minor issue with. The email chain response had a suitably grandiose mystery LLC name.

So, I googled them out of curiousity wondering what agency was muscling in on "my" turf and whether I should be concerned.

Well, it sure looked like an agency and it advertised a truly Napoleonic expertise in hundreds of languages, BUT... I recognized it.

It's a one-woman s
... See more
Funny story

I recently stumbled across a "new" translator for a client that I had some minor issue with. The email chain response had a suitably grandiose mystery LLC name.

So, I googled them out of curiousity wondering what agency was muscling in on "my" turf and whether I should be concerned.

Well, it sure looked like an agency and it advertised a truly Napoleonic expertise in hundreds of languages, BUT... I recognized it.

It's a one-woman shop that works in exactly *2* language pairs. Personally, by hand, with a recognizably non-outsourced style, and a penchant for being mostly thorough but serially slightly late.

Two questions arise:
1) What's up with that? Unrealized ambition? Posing as a large entity to try to entice corporate clients? Some sort of tax trickery behind sometimes presenting as an individual and at other times as an LLC?
2) Just how small is our field that you start recognizing people?

PS dear mods, I'm not naming anybody and don't intend to. It's not a person I've seen on here either, so this is just an anonymous anecdotal tale that'll stay firmly anonymous.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@ Adieu Nov 23, 2022

Had the same experience, but a bit different.

I was contacted by an (for me unkwown) agency, if I could do a job for "them". I googled their website, and I must say it looked really professional, complete with photos of a business center and young and ambitious employees. It almost convinced me, almost ................. As a former professional photographer I found the photos too good to be true (stock material?).

When I looked further, I ended up at Proz, where I found
... See more
Had the same experience, but a bit different.

I was contacted by an (for me unkwown) agency, if I could do a job for "them". I googled their website, and I must say it looked really professional, complete with photos of a business center and young and ambitious employees. It almost convinced me, almost ................. As a former professional photographer I found the photos too good to be true (stock material?).

When I looked further, I ended up at Proz, where I found out that the person (agency?) in question was a one man business, just like me.

Why all this trouble indeed?

[Edited at 2022-11-23 18:12 GMT]
Collapse

Adieu

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
True Nov 23, 2022

Our industry must be very tiny because I always see the same faces here I am already familiar with. And that doesn't need to be necessarily bad, is it?

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:06
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Elite Nov 24, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Our industry must be very tiny because I always see the same faces here I am already familiar with. And that doesn't need to be necessarily bad, is it?

There seems to be a tiny elite of people who chat in these forums. Or maybe Proz only has about 10 clients....

Christopher Schröder

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Or ......... Nov 24, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

There seems to be a tiny elite of people who chat in these forums. Or maybe Proz only has about 10 clients....

....... the rest is too busy working.

expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Alison Jenner
Christopher Schröder
Tom in London

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Highly unlikely Nov 24, 2022

Unless they don't know to raise rates and work non-stop for peanuts.

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

....... the rest is too busy working.

Tom in London
Robert Rietvelt
Daryo

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Serious now Nov 24, 2022

Over the years I have seen people come and go, but I also noticed that most threads are from the same group of 'veterans' (including me).

Why all those other Proz members don't participate, I don't know. Maybe we are too boring or they are active on other, for them more interesting platforms.

My two cents.

[Edited at 2022-11-24 17:46 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
No, I believe... Nov 24, 2022

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Why all those other Proz members don't participate, I don't know. Maybe we are too boring or they are active on other, for them more interesting platforms.

My two cents.

... that some of them are afraid that (possible) clients may read their posts and then refrain from assigning jobs to them. A lot of these posts don't leave a good hair on (certain) agencies.

Daryo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just how tiny is our industry? Always with the familiar faces

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »