Ken Ho
Ken Ho  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:33
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 9, 2022

Dear All Colleagues ,

I understand that most of you use and rely on one or more CAT tools to boost your productivity, and some of them do provide sort of limited setting functions to customize some appearances. However, it is a pity that the user experience of all the tools is far from satisfactory in terms of eye protection, due to lack of a user-friendly dark mode/dark theme.

Personally I find it very distracting when using them to translate, especially after I got us
... See more
Dear All Colleagues ,

I understand that most of you use and rely on one or more CAT tools to boost your productivity, and some of them do provide sort of limited setting functions to customize some appearances. However, it is a pity that the user experience of all the tools is far from satisfactory in terms of eye protection, due to lack of a user-friendly dark mode/dark theme.

Personally I find it very distracting when using them to translate, especially after I got used to the dark mode of some programming IDEs, such as VS Code (https://code.visualstudio.com/), which I use frequently to write markdown files.

Hence, I would like to call for actions from all of you to urge/push all main stream CAT tool providers as well as Proz.com to provide a more user-friendly dark mode/dark theme in their desktop clients and web versions.

Thank you very much.
Collapse

Jan Truper

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:33
Member (2016)
English to German
... Jun 9, 2022

I absolutely agree and find it baffling that these programs do not offer this option.

I use a workaround for memoQ ***on a Mac via Parallels***:

Windows -> Magnifier tool -> enable color inversion
then set the colors in memoQ to your liking (inverted colors mean that white will turn black and pink will turn green, for example)

This works only in this specific setup, because memoQ is the only Windows program I use -- all other programs are handl
... See more
I absolutely agree and find it baffling that these programs do not offer this option.

then set the colors in memoQ to your liking (inverted colors mean that white will turn black and pink will turn green, for example)

This works only in this specific setup, because memoQ is the only Windows program I use -- all other programs are handled by the MacOS and are therefore not color-inverted.
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Cafetran Jun 9, 2022

Ken Ho wrote:

Dear All Colleagues ,

Personally I find it very distracting when using them to translate, especially after I got used to the dark mode of some programming IDEs, such as VS Code (https://code.visualstudio.com/), which I use frequently to write markdown files.

Hence, I would like to call for actions from all of you to urge/push all main stream CAT tool providers as well as Proz.com to provide a more user-friendly dark mode/dark theme in their desktop clients and web versions.

Thank you very much.

Take a look at Cafetran, you can configure the background/fonts/segments with different colour schemes.

[Edited at 2022-06-09 06:27 GMT]

Tom in London
Georgi Kovachev
Ken Ho

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Easy Invert Jun 9, 2022

There is a program called Easy Invert that can do something like this:
https://www.wintools.info/index.php/easy-invert
(I haven't tried it because of the warnings at the time of installation, but perhaps someone has the courage.)

Ken Ho
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not easy Jun 10, 2022

It's not easy to handle the magnifier tool well during translating.

Jan Truper wrote:

This works only in this specific setup, because memoQ is the only Windows program I use -- all other programs are handled by the MacOS and are therefore not color-inverted.

Ken Ho
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nice 3rd party tool Jun 10, 2022

This will absolutely serve my needs.

Samuel Murray wrote:

There is a program called Easy Invert that can do something like this:
https://www.wintools.info/index.php/easy-invert
(I haven't tried it because of the warnings at the time of installation, but perhaps someone has the courage.)

Ken Ho
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cafetran Jun 10, 2022

This is the one with dark theme and full color scheme customization function.
Great to know this.

Wolfgang wrote:
Take a look at Cafetran, you can configure the background/fonts/segments with different colour schemes.

[Edited at 2022-06-09 06:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-10 23:41 GMT]

Tom in London

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
There are a lot of key missing visual features in modern CAT tools Jun 11, 2022

Dark mode is one. I'd prefer full black background for AMOLED screens.

Another feature I'd kill to get on MemoQ: to color code TM matches to highlight your own entries to set them apart from the "geniuses" you're forced to work with

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tools: Dark mode/dark theme desperately needed

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »