Off topic: Whether political views of CAT tool vendors affect the way we translate
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 29, 2022

It gets weirder.

I regularly work for clients who use Smartling, an online CAT tool system. Smartling changed their web site's colours to the Ukrainian colours, and whenever I log into Smartling, it says in large letters that Smartling "stands with Ukraine".

Apparently, this had caused some confusion among translators, because a client who uses Smartling just sent a letter to all translators pleading with them to remain neutral in their translations on Smartling (which
... See more
It gets weirder.

I regularly work for clients who use Smartling, an online CAT tool system. Smartling changed their web site's colours to the Ukrainian colours, and whenever I log into Smartling, it says in large letters that Smartling "stands with Ukraine".

Apparently, this had caused some confusion among translators, because a client who uses Smartling just sent a letter to all translators pleading with them to remain neutral in their translations on Smartling (which is something that a translator ought to do anyway, but apparently it bears reminding when the CAT tool itself broadcasts a political view to translators).

Heh-heh-heh-heh...
Collapse

Baran Keki
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London
Christine Andersen
Emily Gilby
Vladimir Filipenko

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:41
Italian to Russian
+ ...
a test Mar 30, 2022

Hello Samuel,

just take it as an invasive test for (in this case, political) bias

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Whether political views of CAT tool vendors affect the way we translate

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »