Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:17
Polish to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2021

I thought this be of interest:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/sep/10/why-translators-should-be-named-on-book-covers

I apologise if I've posted it to the wrong forum.

P.L.F. Persio
Bruce Tuggy

Bruce Tuggy
Bruce Tuggy
United States
Local time: 07:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
How to coax publishing houses into crediting the translator Sep 10, 2021

I absolutely agree. When I worked as the main editor at a publishing house, I was always in favor of putting some kind of credit for the translation either on the cover or at least inside under the copyright notice. I let the CEO and owner know how I felt and why, but unfortunately, they had a different view of the matter, so the translator was only acknowledged in two cases that I know of.

My theory is that the publishing house doesn't want to risk having to pay the translator roya
... See more
I absolutely agree. When I worked as the main editor at a publishing house, I was always in favor of putting some kind of credit for the translation either on the cover or at least inside under the copyright notice. I let the CEO and owner know how I felt and why, but unfortunately, they had a different view of the matter, so the translator was only acknowledged in two cases that I know of.

My theory is that the publishing house doesn't want to risk having to pay the translator royalties, which they cannot afford, so they avoid the risk by not mentioning the translator. They are willing to pay the translator on a one-time contract basis, but not credit them in the book. I still don't think it's right.

I feel sure that the publisher can write a contract with the translator to produce a work for hire, thereby avoiding paying royalties, yet agree to mention the translator on the cover and the copyrights page. An outsource or in-house translator can approach the publisher with this model and seek to be credited where credit is due.
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
AnnaSCHTR
Arabic & More
P.L.F. Persio
Kevin Fulton
Bonina Moran
Daryo

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Why? Sep 11, 2021

Why does the literary translator need/crave that recognition?

I’m rarely credited for my work and frankly I couldn’t care less.

And when I am I generally wish I hadn’t been, through no fault of my own.

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:17
Greek to English
Pros and cons Sep 12, 2021

I don't agree with this. I translated a novel for the first time during last winter, and of course, when the book is published I'd like my work to be acknowledged. But on the cover? I don't think so.

The author of the article in the Guardian stresses the point that every word in a translation comes from the translator, not the original author. Yes, but as we all know, apart from the very simplest contexts, translation isn't really about words, it's about concepts.

Yes,
... See more
I don't agree with this. I translated a novel for the first time during last winter, and of course, when the book is published I'd like my work to be acknowledged. But on the cover? I don't think so.

The author of the article in the Guardian stresses the point that every word in a translation comes from the translator, not the original author. Yes, but as we all know, apart from the very simplest contexts, translation isn't really about words, it's about concepts.

Yes, every word in the novel I translated was written by me. But every word was also approved by the author. More importantly, what I was trying to do in the translation - and what I think every translator should be trying to do - was not to make it my own work, but to render the author's original creation as faithfully as possible in the target language.

The words are mine, but the voice the reader hears - if I've done my job properly - is not mine: it's the author's voice, just speaking a different language.

So as far as I'm concerned, the author can have the front page to herself. I'll be content with an acknowledgement inside.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:17
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Alas, not always Sep 12, 2021

Philip Lees wrote:

.....The words are mine, but the voice the reader hears - if I've done my job properly - is not mine: it's the author's voice, just speaking a different language.

If I'm reading something in translation I always check who the translator was. This is particularly important in the case of c19 Russian literature because of the notorious Constance Garnett, who by all accounts was a complete disaster. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005/11/07/the-translation-wars

In the case of contemporary Italian literature I once had the pleasure of knowing William (Bill) Weaver, who translated all of Italo Calvino and Umberto Eco etc. and worked closely with them. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/18/william-weaver

Note added:

Someone has decided that this thread is "off topic" and has coloured it light blue; I don't think it will ever be off-topic.

[Edited at 2021-09-12 10:48 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
Daryo

Jessie Jimenez
Jessie Jimenez
United States
Yes Dec 28, 2022

It should be mentioned but inside, not on the cover...

Tom in London

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why translators should be named on book covers

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »