Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Is there a world record for the fastest translator?
Thread poster: José Guedes
Gregory Berge
Gregory Berge
Japan
Local time: 06:27
English to French
Speed is a gorgeous byproduct of mastery Jun 19, 2021

Picasso is at the market and a lady comes to him.
"Mr Picasso, I am such a big fan. Could you please draw me something?"
Picasso takes a paper and a pen and draws something in 30 seconds and hand it to the lady who replies:
"Mr Picasso, thank you so much. Have a great day"
But then Picasso says:
"Hold on dear lady, that drawing will cost you a million dollar"
She goes:
"What?... but Mr Picasso, this drawing only took you 30 seconds?!"
To which he r
... See more
Picasso is at the market and a lady comes to him.
"Mr Picasso, I am such a big fan. Could you please draw me something?"
Picasso takes a paper and a pen and draws something in 30 seconds and hand it to the lady who replies:
"Mr Picasso, thank you so much. Have a great day"
But then Picasso says:
"Hold on dear lady, that drawing will cost you a million dollar"
She goes:
"What?... but Mr Picasso, this drawing only took you 30 seconds?!"
To which he replies:
"Oh my dear lady...it took me 30 years of dedication and hard work to be able to do this in 30 seconds".

In our world, 99% of the time, speed is a gorgeous byproduct of mastery.
And therefore lack of speed is a byproduct of lack of mastery.

Don't confuse that kind of masterful speed with that of lazy so-called translators, whom we all hate, who deliver machine-translated documents and make everybody's life more complicated.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Agnès Giner

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:27
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
30k in 24 hours should be achievable Jun 19, 2021

I'm no Picasso, but give me a 15k-word patent and you'll have it back in 24 hours translated (manually typed, no MT, no voice recognition) and proofread to the highest professional standards.

Since I don't consider myself particularly talented, and I can't even type that fast, I'm quite sure that some highly skilled and disciplined individual could at least double my figures.

And if someone swears that it's impossible to do more than 3,000 a day or so, it's because they
... See more
I'm no Picasso, but give me a 15k-word patent and you'll have it back in 24 hours translated (manually typed, no MT, no voice recognition) and proofread to the highest professional standards.

Since I don't consider myself particularly talented, and I can't even type that fast, I'm quite sure that some highly skilled and disciplined individual could at least double my figures.

And if someone swears that it's impossible to do more than 3,000 a day or so, it's because they assume that their modest standards apply to the whole universe. Well, I got news for you: they don't.

And if you don't believe me, I'll bet anyone 10,000 €/£/$ that I can do either 15k (in my specific field) in 24 hours in a single burst, or 10k a day for as many consecutive days as you can afford. Contact me via ProZ mail, I won't read any replies.

And yes, speed is a much welcome byproduct of mastery.

[Edited at 2021-06-19 20:44 GMT]
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Makes some sense Jun 20, 2021

I think the main difference here is general purpose/multiple field translators working for agencies on unpredictable topics vs. narrow specialization for a specific direct client.

Familiar topics go much, much faster.

Angie Garbarino

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:27
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Can you Jun 20, 2021

Daniel Frisano wrote:

And if someone swears that it's impossible to do more than 3,000 a day or so, it's because they assume that their modest standards apply to the whole universe. Well, I got news for you: they don't.

And if you don't believe me, I'll bet anyone 10,000 €/£/$ that I can do either 15k (in my specific field) in 24 hours in a single burst, or 10k a day for as many consecutive days as you can afford. Contact me via ProZ mail, I won't read any replies.

Can you also play a Paganini concerto at the same time? Or are you only too modest to boast about it?

P.L.F. Persio
Baran Keki
Barbara Carrara
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis
writeaway
Rachel Fell

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Any field? Jun 20, 2021

Daniel Frisano wrote:

give me a 15k-word patent

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino
Barbara Carrara
Yvonne Gallagher

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:27
English to Turkish
Omnifield Jun 20, 2021

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
Any field?

How dare you ask a question to a Translation God?

P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London
writeaway
Taña Dalglish
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
According to some recent psychiatrist notes I worked on Jun 23, 2021

If you start talking back to God, it's time for Haloperidol 1.5 mg q.i.d.

Baran Keki wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
Any field?

How dare you ask a question to a Translation God?

Daryo
Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Imagine being behind the mirror ... Jun 23, 2021

José Guedes wrote:

Gitte Hovedskov Hansen wrote:

I'm surprised that the OP (what does OP stand for????? I see it used here so often but have been unable to figure out what it means, except that I gather it is the person who starts a thread... ) is surprised at the not-too-impressed reactions from among the professional community. What did you expect? That we would all just say 'no, there is no such thing, but hey, that's a brilliant idea, let us know if such a record attempt is set up, because we all want to join in the fun'? Surely, you must have been aware that you would be stirring up a hornet's nest here?

I once went for a job interview for a position as a translator with a large production company. The agreement was that after the interview, I would do a translation test with 45 minutes at my disposal. They asked me to translate a business letter and a technical text and the instructor said, "Just do as much as you can". They also provided a small list of technical terminology specific to their products. In my usual translation style and using my quicker-than-lightning typing skills (!), I quickly made a rough translation of both texts and could then have sat back thinking, "Core, I'm so quick at translating, I've already done all of it, which they didn't expect, this will really impress them. Maybe I should call them in now so that they can see how fast I did this?" But of course, I didn't, because I'm a professional. I spent every single last minute of the time available checking through the two texts to make absolutely sure I was presenting the best translations possible. Because that's what professional translators do, isn't it? We do our level best to provide the best possible result within given frameworks. Speed is just a tiny part of the equation.

I wasn't expecting anyone to be impressed about anything. I expected people to be kind and useful as some have been and refrain from posting opinions that do not add to the discussion as originally intended by me, the OP.

If they have nothing constructive, I would thank them not to say anything. We are all busy people and shouldn't be wasting time arguing about something silly like this. I didn't come here for this.

I certainly did not think I was stirring any kind of nest. I expected people to be mature and not feel "insulted", as some explicitly have stated they were.

What you people keep failing to understand is I am not arguing translators should worry about speed. I am saying since I have very coordinated fingers, it is a matter of curiosity to me to see how far I can take this harmless skill, without, and this is important, losing any measurable quality whatsoever. Meaning you would read the text and if you said I rushed through the job, my objective would not have been reached. That is the point! Through this practice I would not be trying to become a better translator (though I am always striving to improve through many other means), nor acquire more clients nor anything else. Just having a little fun!

I am extremely meticulous about my work and spend countless hours revising before delivering the final product. I always read each segment that I translate two or more times before going to the next segment. If anyone should have been offended, it was me. Almost everyone assumed and implied that the quality of my translation is inferior or that I do not pay attention to my work.

It is simply a hobby of mine, which people have attacked relentlessly, despite the fact that nowhere did I make the question "What is your opinion about the validity of this subject?".

"I wasn't expecting anyone to be impressed about anything. I expected people to be kind and useful as some have been and refrain from posting opinions that do not add to the discussion as originally intended by me, the OP."

Most people do tend to be kind and useful when asked useful (=relevant) questions.

OTOH I can't think of any profession where professionals would take it kindly to questions whose underlying logic amounts to (professionally) shooting yourself in the foot.

I had to deal in the past with people who imagined that translating is no more than glorified typing - and now you expect me to be impressed by anyone's typing speed?

BTW "120 wpm with bursts of up to 170" that's more or less my typing speed, but I see it just as a minor technical advantage, nothing worth writing home about.

"If they have nothing constructive, I would thank them not to say anything."
What the mirror says back:
If they (budding OPs) don't have a question that is relevant for the advancement of the profession, I would thank them not to ask anything.

"I certainly did not think I was stirring any kind of nest."

Well, you stand better informed now.

"nowhere did I make the question What is your opinion about the validity of this subject?"

People react how THEY see it fit to react - without asking anyone's permission.

Strangely enough, it seems that the vast majority DO QUESTION the validity of glorying pure typing speed as something desirable.

P.L.F. Persio

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Improving your typing speed vs relying on MT Jun 24, 2021

The first option seems wiser. It guarantees thinking does not get removed from the translation process.
The world record for typing is reported to be 212 wpm. For most of us, there is space for improvement.
Competition among translators does exist. But speed in translation is really not a motivator.
If you are a runner, speed might get you money and fame.
As a translator, you measure your success with other metrics. Speed is not really one of them.

[
... See more
The first option seems wiser. It guarantees thinking does not get removed from the translation process.
The world record for typing is reported to be 212 wpm. For most of us, there is space for improvement.
Competition among translators does exist. But speed in translation is really not a motivator.
If you are a runner, speed might get you money and fame.
As a translator, you measure your success with other metrics. Speed is not really one of them.

[Edited at 2021-06-24 11:53 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes, but... Jun 24, 2021

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Can you also juggle 10 balls with your feet while typing this translation out, simultaneously?

[Edited at 2021-06-24 06:43 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Daryo

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
More like Jun 24, 2021

Lingua 5B wrote:
Can you also juggle 10 balls with your feet while typing this translation out, simultaneously?

...juggling 2 balls with one hand whilst typing with the other.

Jan Truper
Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
All good.. Jun 24, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

All good as long as he doesn't do that while mixing burgers.

P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London
Daryo

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
You forgot Jun 25, 2021

@ 50+% of 170 WPM

Cause who needs two hands. True heroes love a handicap equalizer. More fun that way!

Tom in London wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

P.L.F. Persio

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Back on topic, my money would be on a simultaneous interpreter Jun 25, 2021

I think interpreters' brains simply function differently from mine, but they produce translations very rapidly.

At college I could write fast - my handwritten notes were often fuller than anyone else's and still legible, so I was popular if anyone had missed a lecture and needed to copy them!

I have to take notes in the language I am hearing, however. They are short and messy if I try to translate at the same time. I am a hopeless typist and cannot interpret either. In
... See more
I think interpreters' brains simply function differently from mine, but they produce translations very rapidly.

At college I could write fast - my handwritten notes were often fuller than anyone else's and still legible, so I was popular if anyone had missed a lecture and needed to copy them!

I have to take notes in the language I am hearing, however. They are short and messy if I try to translate at the same time. I am a hopeless typist and cannot interpret either. In fact I prefer to take notes by hand. Apart from the rattle of the keys, which distracts others, I find myself checking typos instead of listening to the lecture If I try to use a laptop.

Those who can interpret simultaneously have my deepest respect. THAT goes fast!
Of course, they skip all the business of writing, but their audience understand them and can join in at a conference.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Same here Jun 25, 2021

Christine Andersen wrote:

I have to take notes in the language I am hearing,

Those who can interpret simultaneously have my deepest respect.

I can do interpretation but NO simultaneously, it is a matter of "switch" for my brain, also I have always been much better in writing than in speaking even if my native language. I am not good speaker either.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a world record for the fastest translator?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »