Off topic: How is Google Books for your language?
Thread poster: Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:09
German to English
+ ...
Dec 11, 2009

I continue to find no end of delight in the many literary treasures (as well as practical tools like dictionaries) available for my languages (German and English) through Google Books. Tonight I felt like reading some of the more obscure Grimms' fairy tales in a version close to the original, and in five minutes I had a copy from 1850 downloaded and printing. OK, so it's almost 40 years after the original publication, but that's still better than I can do in my own library or the local public on... See more
I continue to find no end of delight in the many literary treasures (as well as practical tools like dictionaries) available for my languages (German and English) through Google Books. Tonight I felt like reading some of the more obscure Grimms' fairy tales in a version close to the original, and in five minutes I had a copy from 1850 downloaded and printing. OK, so it's almost 40 years after the original publication, but that's still better than I can do in my own library or the local public one. And at midnight no less. On numerous occasions for work or reading pleasure, Google Books has given me what I wanted where Project Gutenberg didn't have what I was looking for.

How is Google books for other languages at the present time?
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:09
French to Polish
+ ...
General Buyshit in Polish... Dec 12, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

How is Google books for other languages at the present time? [/quote]
I just entered two searches in Polish.
Kochanowski, Treny
Mickiewicz, Pan Tadeusz

It's something like Shakespeare and Byron in our tradition.

I didn't manage to display the text although I selected very old editions (100+ years old).
Of course, the Buy button was always available.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How is Google Books for your language?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »