Off topic: Joe Dassin - any accent?
投稿者: danya
danya
danya
Local time: 05:35
英語 から ロシア語
+ ...
Nov 15, 2008

I'd like to address the question in the subj. to the native speakers of English and French. Joe Dassin's native language was English, although he's much more renowned for his French songs (what is more, he was practically multilingual).

1) Does his English have a trace of an accent? I, for one, can hear something, but I do not trust my ear.
2) Does his French sound "less French" than, say, Jacque Brel's (no Parisian uvular R's etc.) or, again, is there an accent?
... See more
I'd like to address the question in the subj. to the native speakers of English and French. Joe Dassin's native language was English, although he's much more renowned for his French songs (what is more, he was practically multilingual).

1) Does his English have a trace of an accent? I, for one, can hear something, but I do not trust my ear.
2) Does his French sound "less French" than, say, Jacque Brel's (no Parisian uvular R's etc.) or, again, is there an accent?

By "accent" I mean "foreign accent", not the differences among langauge varieties.

TIA everyone.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-11-15 16:24 GMT]
Collapse

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:35
2004に入会
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
Joe's accents Nov 15, 2008

I always detected a slight accent in both languages when Joe spoke. I am a native American, but have a native level of French, lived here and spoken French longer than English now...intersted to hear what others have to say.

Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
英語 から フランス語
+ ...
No accent in French when singing Nov 15, 2008

I can't remember Joe in interviews but the songs are sometimes played on radio and I don't notice any accent (I'm french MT).

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
メキシコ
Local time: 20:35
フランス語 から スペイン語
+ ...
No accent... Nov 15, 2008

...as far as I remember, and this confirms it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIElXj0ZKlk

Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
フランス
2009に入会
ドイツ語 から フランス語
+ ...
No accent in French Nov 15, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTLFfRofVcw

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Joe Dassin - any accent?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »