padmaja
padmaja
بھارت
Local time: 23:51
انگریزیسےجرمن
+ ...
Apr 26, 2003

hello,

I am a resident of india, and here we dont have any universities offering translation degrees or diplomas..Insuch a situation, Goethe institute in India is offering a three month translation technique{german>english} course, which will partly be conducted in India and the last part in Germany, FASK, Germersheim,Mainz university.It will be a diploma course

I was wondering if any one around here can give me some inputs about how good this university is and will it he
... See more
hello,

I am a resident of india, and here we dont have any universities offering translation degrees or diplomas..Insuch a situation, Goethe institute in India is offering a three month translation technique{german>english} course, which will partly be conducted in India and the last part in Germany, FASK, Germersheim,Mainz university.It will be a diploma course

I was wondering if any one around here can give me some inputs about how good this university is and will it help a beginner like me to atleast have a start in this field

Thanks

padmaja
Collapse

Pee Eff (X)
Pee Eff (X)
جرمنی
Local time: 20:21
جرمنسےانگریزی
+ ...
Hi there! Apr 26, 2003

I just graduated from the FASK Germersheim some 6 weeks ago so I might be able to tell you a couple of things.

Germersheim is said to be one of the best schools of translation/interpretation in Germany. They offer quite a lot of languages and 5 fields of specialized studies: information technology, medicine, law, economics and science & technology. For people with a native language other than German, the FASK offers the possibility to study using their own mother tongue as b
... See more
I just graduated from the FASK Germersheim some 6 weeks ago so I might be able to tell you a couple of things.

Germersheim is said to be one of the best schools of translation/interpretation in Germany. They offer quite a lot of languages and 5 fields of specialized studies: information technology, medicine, law, economics and science & technology. For people with a native language other than German, the FASK offers the possibility to study using their own mother tongue as basis and German as their first foreign language. I think this is unique in Germany, since in all the other translation schools, foreigners must take German as basis. This information refers to the regular courses of study only (which is a regular study program of 8-10 semesters. I don\'t know what they will be offering you as a student of the Goethe Institute being there for just some months (probably during the summer courses).

It\'s a fact that the FASK in Germersheim is the largest school of translation/interpretation in Europe (the world??). There are some 2500 students, some 40 percent of which come from abroad. This gives the place a quite international atmosphere.

But don\'t let yourself fool into thinking you are going to Mainz! No way! Germersheim is NOT a part of Mainz as many exchange students from abroad think in the first place. It is in fact a little town some 100 kms to the south of Mainz on the banks of the river Rhine and halfway between the cities of Mannheim and Karlsruhe. It is just the FASK (the Department of Applied Linguistics and Cultural Science) that is a part of the University of Mainz. The town Germersheim itself has some 20,000 inhabitants and is quite calm, the main centers of life being the university, and some German and American barracks...

On these web sites you can find further information: www.fask.uni-mainz.de

and in English: www.fask.uni-mainz.de/fbpubl/brosch/brosch-us.html

I wish you the best of luck!

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Patrick
Collapse

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
جرمنی
انگریزیسےجرمن
+ ...
No universities offering translation degrees in India?? Apr 27, 2003

Hi Padmaja,

I don´t know which part of India you are writing from, but there are a number of very well known universities in India (Bombay, Bangalore, etc.) where one can study translation (BA, MA, Mphil, Phd...). JNU for example: http://www.jnu.ac.in/main.asp?sendval=SchoolOfLanguage

MMB/Goethe institute is ofcourse a much faster way of getting a piece o
... See more
Hi Padmaja,

I don´t know which part of India you are writing from, but there are a number of very well known universities in India (Bombay, Bangalore, etc.) where one can study translation (BA, MA, Mphil, Phd...). JNU for example: http://www.jnu.ac.in/main.asp?sendval=SchoolOfLanguage

MMB/Goethe institute is ofcourse a much faster way of getting a piece of paper. And they do organize things very professionally. And it is logical that being in Germany will help improve your spoken German. In my opinion the important thing is that MMB is organizing it and that their people will be around to guide you.

In case of further questions you are welcome to write to me directly

Regards

Anu
Collapse

Astrid Cruse
Astrid Cruse  Identity Verified
انگریزیسےجرمن
+ ...
Germersche (as the locals say) Apr 28, 2003

hello padmaja,

I fully agree with what Patrick sais (I studied there, too). Germersheim is reknown for its translation and interpretation studies.

Students there are very divers and open-minded, interested in different cultures etc. I personally think that it should be of great advantage to study there as a foreign student.

But, what is also true is that Germersheim is a pretty small town and - apart from the University - pretty \"r
... See more
hello padmaja,

I fully agree with what Patrick sais (I studied there, too). Germersheim is reknown for its translation and interpretation studies.

Students there are very divers and open-minded, interested in different cultures etc. I personally think that it should be of great advantage to study there as a foreign student.

But, what is also true is that Germersheim is a pretty small town and - apart from the University - pretty \"rural\". Normally people expect to come to Mainz and have the expectation to come to a great town. In that regard, Germersheim is very disappointing.

However, if you like German vine festivals, vine and great food from the alsace, asparagus, cycling, etc. and if you are interested in the Palatinate accent () Germersheim certainly is a good choice to stay at least for some months. Weekend tours to the major towns in Germany - especially in the south of Germany - are easily possible.

One big advantage is the size of the FASK. Only 2.500 students offer the opportunity to get to know people quickly. As many people suffer from Germersheims remoteness, these people then organise many different things on a private basis - this is perfect for studying languages and having fun at the same time. You just have to have phantasy ...

You should however take into account, that in Germany summer vacation lasts about three months and winter vacation about two months. Should the course the Goethe instutit is offering fall in this time, it will be very quiet on the campus and services will be restricted.

Hth, for further questions, don\'t hesitate to contact me again.

Cheers, Astrid

Collapse

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
جرمنی
انگریزیسےجرمن
+ ...
another link Apr 28, 2003

Here`s another good link for German studies in India (Google Search):

http://www.goethe.de/su/ned/enilink.htm#A4

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

اس فورم کے موڈریٹر
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

information about translation course,German

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »