Automatic UI screens capture for UI review?
Thread poster: cll
cll
cll
Local time: 12:19
English to Spanish
Mar 24, 2006

Hello
I was wondering whether you know of a tool, preferably free, that can automatically extract all UI screens from an executable and capture them into .jpg or .bmp format.
The aim of this is to be able to do a UI translation review without having to actually install the program and navigate through the screens, some of which you cannot reproduce or are difficult to reproduce because a certain environment configuration is needed to see some error messages, etc etc.
I am not
... See more
Hello
I was wondering whether you know of a tool, preferably free, that can automatically extract all UI screens from an executable and capture them into .jpg or .bmp format.
The aim of this is to be able to do a UI translation review without having to actually install the program and navigate through the screens, some of which you cannot reproduce or are difficult to reproduce because a certain environment configuration is needed to see some error messages, etc etc.
I am not sure I have explained this properly, but hopefully those of you who do QA or unit testing will know what I mean.
Thanks a lot
C.
Collapse

Alain Dellepiane
Alain Dellepiane  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:19
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nope Mar 24, 2006

Sorry, you can't. Menus, boxes etc. aren't stored as pictures inside the program but generated "on the fly".

If you can contact the developer ask them for a debug build that alows to trigger the messages.

Otherwise your only chance is to reproduce them, or to fake the screenshots by photoshopping the strings in.

Good work.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:19
English to Polish
+ ...
No general way. Mar 24, 2006

But if an application is a Windows application built the way it should, all the messages are in resource files the developer should give you. Then you apply (say) Visual Studio Express
or one of these: http://www.thefreecountry.com/programming/resourceeditors.shtml and create a localized resource, that a developer compiles into an application.

Installers
... See more
But if an application is a Windows application built the way it should, all the messages are in resource files the developer should give you. Then you apply (say) Visual Studio Express
or one of these: http://www.thefreecountry.com/programming/resourceeditors.shtml and create a localized resource, that a developer compiles into an application.

Installers are a different story, and an application does not have to be localizable this way.
Collapse

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
not easy to walk through the screens... Mar 24, 2006

Not only there is no tool, but even retrieving manually ALL the screens and pop-ups of a GUI may be difficult...
As a developer, I have had to prepare documents for localization QA, explaining how to reach each and every screen and pop-up message... We had to indicate which values to enter, which objects to select, which menu option to choose, sometimes how to configure the system and which configuration commands and tools to run beforehand, sometimes also which specific hardware or softwa
... See more
Not only there is no tool, but even retrieving manually ALL the screens and pop-ups of a GUI may be difficult...
As a developer, I have had to prepare documents for localization QA, explaining how to reach each and every screen and pop-up message... We had to indicate which values to enter, which objects to select, which menu option to choose, sometimes how to configure the system and which configuration commands and tools to run beforehand, sometimes also which specific hardware or software was required... And we were taking screenshots of the English version of the software. It's quite a tedious work to prepare this...
You may think that we could input exactly the same values in other languages, and get the translated screens... this is not true. In some cases, because the codesets used are different, the input must be adapted in other languages... or may differ depending on your machine...
This is why we were not able to take screenshots for the other languages : this is not possible when you don't know the language. Native speakers are needed for that !
Whether it's good or bad news for you, machines are not going to replace translators in a near future
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Segue's Silktest might work Mar 25, 2006

Ask the developers. They might use a QA tool such as SilkTest, which can be used to automatically capture screens. However, SilkTest is not cheap and a developer would have to develop test scripts.

Gad Harel
Gad Harel
Israel
Local time: 14:19
English to German
+ ...
There are tools available !!! Mar 25, 2006

Hi cll,

there are some tools (progs) available but not cheap.

1. Alchemyst Catalyst version 6 but not bug free

2. RC-Wintrans version 7

if you need further information you can contact me off-line

cll
cll
Local time: 12:19
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Taking note of possible programs Mar 27, 2006

Thanks everyone, I shall investigate further the tools mentioned.
Regards
cll

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatic UI screens capture for UI review?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »