Thread poster: transslate
transslate
transslate
Local time: 07:58
German to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2005

Hello,

I need some help on how to approach an XML job. The client wants to reduce cost of a 97,000 word XML document. There is only one big XML file (see attached) which has about 280k new words and 120k reps. We are currently working on this for a number of languages, but they are looking to add more. The problem is that since they are doing this the first time, it will be very expensive if they have to do everything
from scratch. He is considering machine translation
... See more
Hello,

I need some help on how to approach an XML job. The client wants to reduce cost of a 97,000 word XML document. There is only one big XML file (see attached) which has about 280k new words and 120k reps. We are currently working on this for a number of languages, but they are looking to add more. The problem is that since they are doing this the first time, it will be very expensive if they have to do everything
from scratch. He is considering machine translation (which I think is a bad idea). I would appreciate it if anyone could help figure out how to localize all of these words and keep the cost down by not having to translate every word.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:58
English to German
+ ...
Maybe Déjà Vu X Sep 16, 2005

You could analyse it with DVX. Sometimes the word count is very different from Trados, particularly when an XML filter is involved.

And your client would probably like the "Assemble from portions" function, which is particularly useful for highly repetitive texts.

But maybe it is still too early to decide about a CAT tool: first you should extract and settle the terminology and find the best tool for this step.
(This will also be necessary for any MT translation.
... See more
You could analyse it with DVX. Sometimes the word count is very different from Trados, particularly when an XML filter is involved.

And your client would probably like the "Assemble from portions" function, which is particularly useful for highly repetitive texts.

But maybe it is still too early to decide about a CAT tool: first you should extract and settle the terminology and find the best tool for this step.
(This will also be necessary for any MT translation.)

[Edited at 2005-09-16 17:16]
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:58
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Duplicate - see http://www.proz.com/topic/36780 Sep 17, 2005

Hi transslate and Harry
As this is a duplicate thread, also posted in http://www.proz.com/topic/36780 where several replies have already come in, pls forgive me for locking this one - this way the discussion can take place all in 1 place.

Thanks!
Roberta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization Help

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »