Thread poster: Ivan Niu
Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
Local time: 19:45
English to Chinese
Phil 这个真的很妙 Feb 6, 2016

Phil Hand wrote:

所以说,后面的odd是指odd job吗?这整段有点怪,因为没有 moonlight job 这一说,moonlighting 是动词才对。反正既然是这个意思,我觉得可以考虑用小工或零工来重现英文的文字游戏。
说它是小工其实是小看它了。人家称之为零工,但它的价值远大于零。

奇怪,我们叫“炒更”,他们却叫“零”活儿。白干?!

[修改时间: 2016-02-06 22:20 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
Another way of translating that sentence which, hopefully, could solve the problem of 竟 Feb 13, 2016

coolfool wrote:

On what grounds does 竟, or 居然, derive from? Perhaps you guys, I figure, make them up, pure and simple, from the thin air?

[修改时间: 2016-01-29 02:30 GMT]

After rethinking, I propose a different translation of that sentence, which, in my opinion, is more faithful to the original sentence in not only semantics, but also syntax: 把像那样的一个工作叫奇零工是奇怪的。 In this version, the character 奇 appears twice, but means differently, hence constituting a pun, so to speak.

[Edited at 2016-02-13 13:16 GMT]

edgarzhuochen
edgarzhuochen
China
Local time: 09:45
English to Chinese
有没有上下文呢? Feb 27, 2016

语境还是很重要的。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When translating a pun

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »