United States
Local time: 13:06
Chinese to English
+ ...
Importance of communication Sep 29, 2013

Kemp9 wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Li Jie,

Maybe I didn't use the right words. What I meant was the way you had it, IMO it is very hard for a Chinese reader to understand what the whole segment of the text is driving at.

Basically, what the author is saying in this segment of text, is the reason happiness is not inherently implanted into the human psyche is because it doesn't help the human survive in the evolutionary process. Instead his survival instinct does.

IMO, one has to make clear the logic of the whole segment of the text. Whether your translation could achieve that is very doubtful in my mind.

她这样意译是没错的,只是似乎不够忠于原文,”IMO it is very hard for a Chinese reader to understand what the whole segment of the text is driving at“——你可能低估了中国读者的心智。

Did I ever say Li Jie's translation was wrong? All I wanted to say was that she did not put the author's words in clear language that clearly conveyed the logic of this segment of text in a cohesive manner. That should be the number one mission of translation: getting the central message across.

[Edited at 2013-09-29 11:22 GMT]

Kemp9
Kemp9
China
Local time: 02:06
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
基本没有brain,有126IQ,兼数学专业毕业 Sep 29, 2013

1.What are the critical brain regions for consciousness?

——no these regions. 前面说过了,基本没有brain,但有126IQ,兼数学专业毕业

Kemp9
Kemp9
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bye Sep 29, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Kemp9 wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

因此,我会将我的翻译改成要消除妄念“我”才能获得真正的快乐。唯有达到“无我”的境界,心里才不会患得患失,才能放下“我执”。

大体意思是对的, 但我觉得宗教信仰理论上延伸得比较厉害。 依我看,整个段落读下来, 中国读者是否懂得前后文如何对应(前后呼应),以致 整段文章何所云 都难说。

换句话说, 是否有必要将 这种并非严肃地 讨论 佛教思想理论 的 “随谈” 提升到这种意识高度 (甚或可视为本文原本没有的说教意味) 值得商讨。

If that's the tone one wants to go for, I think it's better to say something to the effect of "唯有 (达到'无我' 的境界), 为切身利益的忧心才能静默下来, (才能放下‘我执’) ". That way the translation at least stays closer to the English meaning of the word "survival", or further, the context specific coined term "survival brain".

JMHO.

[Edited at 2013-09-29 01:12 GMT]

我们的分歧主要在“survival brain turned down”,我认为survival brain应该翻译成“患得患失”是依据以下context:

Scientists have done experiments on the standard mammalian brain and found that it is not built for happiness. It functions so that, as neurologist Melvin Konner explains, “the organism’s chronic internal state will be a vague mixture of anxiety and desire—best described by the phrase ‘I want,’ spoken with or without an object for the verb.” Surely you are familiar with that brain, having seen it up close and personal, always twitching with dissatisfaction, never at peace.

你的翻译“切身利益”,对我而言有两种解读,第一是自己的基本利益,将这种忧心静默下来并不符合佛家的思想,佛教从来没有说一个人可以不管自己的死活,只是说你不要索取太多。第二是关系到自己的好处(在基本利益以外),那么“不要时时担心关系到自己的好处有没有”算不算“患得患失”呢?所以我百思不得其解,何来延伸、何来说教。

Li Jie,

Maybe I didn't use the right words. What I meant was the way you had it, IMO it is very hard for a Chinese reader to understand what the whole segment of the text is driving at.

Basically, what the author is saying in this segment of text, is the reason happiness is not inherently implanted into the human psyche is because it doesn't help the human survive in the evolutionary process. Instead his survival instinct does.

IMO, one has to make clear the logic of the whole segment of the text. Whether your translation could achieve that is very doubtful in my mind.

她这样意译是没错的,只是似乎不够忠于原文,”IMO it is very hard for a Chinese reader to understand what the whole segment of the text is driving at“——你可能低估了中国读者的心智。

I certainly don't think too much of yours.

didnt you say "bye" before?

[修改时间: 2013-09-29 03:28 GMT]

Li Jie
Li Jie  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
I get your point. Sep 29, 2013

Li Jie,

And I reviewed the text again. Yes, your original translation on Sep 15 is more suitable for the casual way the text conveys. Maybe I will change my translation if I can read more contexts of the whole article, but now I still think it is OK.

[修改时间: 2013-09-29 07:45 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Being tactful in communicating my thoughts Sep 29, 2013

Li Jie,

Sorry to be so blunt. Sometimes I find it very hard to be tactful and still get my thoughts out. I certainly try my best with those whom I think deserve the courtesy.

I hope you understand.

[Edited at 2013-09-29 13:09 GMT]

Li Jie
Li Jie  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
I understand. Sep 29, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Li Jie,

Sorry to be so blunt. Sometimes I find it very hard to be tactful and still get my thoughts out. I certainly try my best with those whom I think deserve my being polite to.

I hope you understand.

[Edited at 2013-09-29 03:55 GMT]

Thank you for your explanation. Good night.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Retort Sep 29, 2013

Kemp9 wrote:

didnt you say "bye" before?

I have my weaknesses too. So I didn't do what I said I would do. What of it? The opportunity presented itself. And I certainly wasn't going to pass it up.

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 14:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
谢谢你们 Sep 29, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:
QHE,你好!我们在 KudoZ 区已经认识了,欢迎你有空常来论坛,促进高质量的讨论,帮助大家提高对西方语言和文化的了解,就像我们的前辈 Steve 那样。

J.H. Wang, 吃了没有? 你和James 以及前面的中文 Moderators把这个forum 管理得有理有节,不是容易的事情,连我这个’Socmephobia’也居然能坦然发帖(不是夸张,学到这个专用词也不过半年多,那时还老奇怪为什么国内名人那么喜欢粉丝,美容?防老?减肥?抗癌?). 了解它人看问题的角度,转换它人或自己看问题的角度是个有效的学习过程,我从Steve和其他几位资深台柱的讨论也学了很多书本未有的东西,谢谢你们。

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
To be or not to be Sep 29, 2013

wherestip wrote:

QHE wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

因此,我会将我的翻译改成要消除妄念“我”才能获得真正的快乐。唯有达到“无我”的境界,心里才不会患得患失,才能放下“我执”。

大体意思是对的, 但我觉得宗教信仰理论上延伸得比较厉害。 依我看,整个段落读下来, 中国读者是否懂得前后文如何对应,以致 整段文章何所云 都难说。

换句话说, 是否有必要将 这种并非严肃地 讨论 佛教思想理论 的 “随谈” 升华到这种意识高度值得商讨。

I couldn't agree more!!!!

The tone of the context, 就好像你穿着晚礼服燕尾服去Rap & Hip Hop演唱会,可不可以?当然可以!可是…

Thanks, QHE.

A belated welcome BTW. I noticed you attended Harvard. It would be fun to hear some of your war stories when you have time.

Forgive me, Steve, I would prefer medical episodes to war stories (if willing). Both have to answer the question: To be or not to be; but for war- “the distinctively human product”, you have to answer: "How is it that the human has become so entangled with the inhumane?" That’s too gray, so 无我的佛 is a better topic here.

Anyway, “the Narratives of War’ has been inspirationally taught by Ms. Faust in her prestigious lecture; I, however, couldn't be drawn deep by such a helluva subject for interpreting and recounting acts of violence, neither those political showcases at JFK Jr. Forum.

BTW, I used to live a few blocks from Paul Revere House (frequently announces to the neighbors that The British are coming the British are coming!). So every day I walked along the Freedom Trail to station, took subway to the battle free field.

Best regards.

[Edited at 2013-09-29 22:58 GMT]

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
阿弥陀佛 Sep 29, 2013

quote]Li Jie wrote:
QHE wrote:
…再说以中国这样佛教渊源流长的国家,这样的句子没什么艰深之处,我觉得很直白。如果这样是“穿着晚礼服燕尾服去Rap & Hip Hop演唱会”的话,你太不了解佛教这身燕尾服长什么样了。

[修改时间: 2013-09-29 02:05 GMT]

I would like to say, first, you did not grasp my intention; 2nd, the tone of your words indicates that you have not touched the essence of Buddhism (Amitābha); 3rd, I would like to repose the Tibetan tülku Chögyam Trungpa 对spiritual discovery 过程的描述:

"Instead we explore further and further and further without looking for an answer. (…)We don't make a big point or an answer out of any one thing. For example, we might think that because we have discovered one particular thing that is wrong with us, that must be it, that must be the problem, that must be the answer. No. We don't fixate on that, we go further. "Why is that the case?" We look further and further. We ask: "Why is this so?" Why is there spirituality? Why is there awakening? Why is there this moment of relief? Why is there such a thing as discovering the pleasure of spirituality? Why, why, why?" We go on deeper and deeper and deeper and deeper, until we reach the point where there is no answer. (...) At that point we tend to give up hope of an answer, or of anything whatsoever, for that matter. (...) This hopelessness is the essence of crazy wisdom. It is hopeless, utterly hopeless."

I shall turn down my survival words right here.

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
你怎么样啊? Sep 29, 2013

QHE wrote:

J.H. Wang, 吃了没有? 你和James 以及前面的中文 Moderators把这个forum 管理得有理有节,不是容易的事情,连我这个’Socmephobia’也居然能坦然发帖(不是夸张,学到这个专用词也不过半年多,那时还老奇怪为什么国内名人那么喜欢粉丝,美容?防老?减肥?抗癌?). 了解它人看问题的角度,转换它人或自己看问题的角度是个有效的学习过程,我从Steve和其他几位资深台柱的讨论也学了很多书本未有的东西,谢谢你们。

@ QHE,

想不到你这么幽默!呵呵。至于论坛,我和 James 只是尽本职工作而已。当然,在我看来,复兴尚未成功,坛友仍需努力!总之,希望大家能约束自己,体谅别人,快乐发言,彼此受益。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jeet-jyet? Sep 29, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

QHE wrote:

J.H. Wang, 吃了没有? ...

@ QHE,

想不到你这么幽默!呵呵。...

I once told a native Texas woman that a customary greeting by some Chinese people is to inquire upon whether the other had eaten.

"Oh, we do that too back home," she said, "Jeet-jyet?"

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
我们那儿的一点区别 Sep 29, 2013

wherestip wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

QHE wrote:

J.H. Wang, 吃了没有? ...

@ QHE,

想不到你这么幽默!呵呵。...

I once told a native Texas woman that a customary greeting by some Chinese people is to inquire upon whether the other had eaten.

在我的家乡农村,人们见面问吃了没有一般不是对家人的问候,而是对外人的问候,尤其是出门时路上碰到同村人的时候,或者是同村人到自己家里来时。而且,问候的时间在吃饭前后不很长的时间。下面是个典型的问候例子:

问候人:(你)吃罢冇? 这里的“你”或有或无,“冇”的发音大致是 [me],或者发[məu],意思是没有。

回答者:吃罢了。这里“了”的发音也不是普通话,大致是 [le]

或者答:冇嘞。 这里的冇发音是|məu|,嘞发音是[lei]

[Edited at 2013-09-29 23:28 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
关于 Jeet-jyet 的解释 Sep 29, 2013

wherestip wrote:

从网上搜索 Jeet-jyet 的意思,碰到见下面的链接:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jeet%20yet

我觉得,这一点至少说明人类的习俗,不管相距多远,的确有相通的地方。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
not a Texan Sep 30, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

从网上搜索 Jeet-jyet 的意思,碰到见下面的链接:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jeet%20yet

我觉得,这一点至少说明人类的习俗,不管相距多远,的确有相通的地方。

Thanks, J. H.. I never thought of searching for it on the web.

That explains it. I did notice the lady didn't have a Texas accent. So maybe she was from Philadelphia. I met her here in Austin. So I automatically assumed she was from Texas. My mistake.

At the time, I thought to myself: she sure has a pleasant way of speaking for a Texan.

Incidentally, I met her while teaching an elementary course in conversational Chinese - an assignment I got through a translation agency with the recommendation from Yueyin when I first retired. It was a breeze of an assignment. So I took it.

[Edited at 2013-09-30 00:35 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

对于“turned down",是不是这样翻译最符合原文?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »