What is the biggest size of Word file that Cafetran can handle?
Автор темы: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
Великобритания
Local time: 18:24
Член ProZ.com c 2008
итальянский => английский
Aug 30, 2021

A client has sent me a Word file containing 38,000 words + various formatting quirks.

I have successfully loaded it into Cafetran, but it slows CT to a crawl.

This is what I'm seeing now (and everything has frozen):

Screen Shot

What is the best way to speed things up?

[Edited at 2021-08-30 16:02 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Нидерланды
Член ProZ.com c 2006
немецкий => голландский
Split it up Aug 30, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Split the document in portions. Translate these. Import your translation to a memory. Create a new project for the whole document and link the memory from the portions. Choose Translate > Insert all exact matches.

Tom in London
Tom in London
Великобритания
Член ProZ.com c 2008
Автор темы
OK but Aug 30, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Split the document in portions. Translate these. Import your translation to a memory. Create a new project for the whole document and link the memory from the portions. Choose Translate > Insert all exact matches.

Yes-I was thinking I might have to do that. However I have now managed to clean up the Word file (which was from a converted PDF) and CafeTran seems a lot happier with it.

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Нидерланды
Член ProZ.com c 2006
немецкий => голландский
Ms Word OCR Aug 31, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

However I have now managed to clean up the Word file (which was from a converted PDF) and CafeTran seems a lot happier with it.

If you have a lot of tags in your document, you can use a special filter: Ms Word OCR.

Screenshot 2021-08-31 at 09.19.37

Tom in London
Tom in London
Великобритания
Член ProZ.com c 2008
Автор темы
Thanks Aug 31, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

However I have now managed to clean up the Word file (which was from a converted PDF) and CafeTran seems a lot happier with it.

If you have a lot of tags in your document, you can use a special filter: Ms Word OCR.

Screenshot 2021-08-31 at 09.19.37

Thanks - in fact the problem was the poor-quality Word file, which generated an enormous number of segments and tags. So I OCRed the PDF again, and have now obtained a much better source document on which to work. Problem solved!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the biggest size of Word file that Cafetran can handle?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »