Thread poster: Claire Fumoleau-Itani
Claire Fumoleau-Itani
Claire Fumoleau-Itani  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:22
English to French
+ ...
Sep 4, 2018

Hello,
A colleague and I have been translating Word files using MemoQ 2015 (my version) and 2016 (her version) for the same client for one year.
No problem until yesterday (day 1 of new project) when we both started getting this error message:
"MemoQ cannot access the selected file. If it is open in Microsoft Office or another application, please close it and try importing the file again."

This is how we receive the files: we download them from Dropbox, copy and
... See more
Hello,
A colleague and I have been translating Word files using MemoQ 2015 (my version) and 2016 (her version) for the same client for one year.
No problem until yesterday (day 1 of new project) when we both started getting this error message:
"MemoQ cannot access the selected file. If it is open in Microsoft Office or another application, please close it and try importing the file again."

This is how we receive the files: we download them from Dropbox, copy and paste them into their relevant folder on our laptops, then import them into MemoQ. Until now we never had any problem working this way.
At our end, we have tried the following to solve the problem:
- We have checked that the files were not open.
- We have asked to receive the files by email in case it was Dropbox-related. It did not change anything.
- We have opened the files, copied and pasted the content into a new Word file and imported them into MemoQ. It worked. But this is not a long-term solution since we usually work on over 150 separate small files in one week.

At the client's end:
- we asked to check whether there were any new authorisations that had been added following 1)change of the client's computer 2)delay in installing Microsoft suite on Mac laptop, hence the client having to save files from Pages to Word format.
- the client said that files transiting from their server are read-only BUT she made sure the files were sent from her laptop directly, not through the server.

She's gone as far as she could at her end, she does not know what else to do - nor do we.
Could someone please help us solve this problem, which is urgent: the biggest bulk of files is landing on our laps tomorrow morning.

Many thanks in advance,
Claire
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is Microsoft Word running in the background? Sep 4, 2018

Maybe a long shot, but nevertheless: Once you save the files onto your laptops, can you see whether there is a Microsoft Word process running in the background without you knowing? You might press Ctrl+Shift+Del and open the Task Manager. If you are not running Word consciously, you might want to see whether you have any Word.exe processes and, if so, cancel it from the Task Manager and try the import.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:22
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The process name should be… Sep 4, 2018

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

… any Word.exe processes and, if so, cancel it from the Task Manager and try the import.

… winword.exe, I think.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Windows Ressource monitor Sep 4, 2018

From the description of the problem, Word might not be the process that is blocking the file, it could be any process. If I understand the original problem correctly, Word was not used here anyway, it was only about copying the files from the email or dropbox to another folder and then starting MemoQ, right?

In Windows, you can use the resource monitor to find out which process blocks a file. Enter "resource monitor" in the Windows search field and start the resource monitor. (I hav
... See more
From the description of the problem, Word might not be the process that is blocking the file, it could be any process. If I understand the original problem correctly, Word was not used here anyway, it was only about copying the files from the email or dropbox to another folder and then starting MemoQ, right?

In Windows, you can use the resource monitor to find out which process blocks a file. Enter "resource monitor" in the Windows search field and start the resource monitor. (I have a German Windows so I can't be sure that I get all the names right, sorry).

In the resource monitor, click the "CPU" tab. You see several lists. Click the checkbox "process" in the top list so that all processes are checked. Then, look below, there is a list "assigned handles" with a search field. Enter the file name (or part of it) of the blocked file in the search field.

Now, in the list "assigned handles" you should see the processes that have opened the file you entered and possibly are blocking it, if this is really the problem. The solution depends on the processes you found. If MemoQ is the only process that has opened the file at this point, the error message you are getting from MemoQ is probably not accurate and the reason is something else within MemoQ; in that case, you should consult the MemoQ support. You could send one of the files to MemoQ support (if permitted) and ask them if they can open it and what is going on.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2018-09-04 20:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-09-04 20:11 GMT]
Collapse

Claire Fumoleau-Itani
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for replies + can you please check instructions Kay-Viktor? Sep 5, 2018

Dear Tomas and Kay-Viktor,

Thanks for your replies.
Tomas, I checked Task Manager and I deleted the 3 Winword.exe files I found but it did not change anything.

Kay-Viktor, I followed your instructions but when I entered the name of the file that MemoQ blocked, nothing displayed under "Associated Handles". The "Search Results" was empty. Just to make sure I had done it properly, I entered the names of files I tried to import and the names of new Word files I create
... See more
Dear Tomas and Kay-Viktor,

Thanks for your replies.
Tomas, I checked Task Manager and I deleted the 3 Winword.exe files I found but it did not change anything.

Kay-Viktor, I followed your instructions but when I entered the name of the file that MemoQ blocked, nothing displayed under "Associated Handles". The "Search Results" was empty. Just to make sure I had done it properly, I entered the names of files I tried to import and the names of new Word files I created from the content of blocked files and the Search Results was still empty...

Can you please check your instructions? I am very interested in pursuing this route.

Many thanks in advance,
Claire
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Step by step ... Sep 5, 2018

Hi Claire,
for checking if you did everything right, let's do it this way: Open Word, type something and save it as "blocktest.docx" in Word. Keep the file open in Word.
Then, start the resource monitor, open the CPU tab, click the "Process" checkbox in the first list and open the "assigned handles" list below, just as described above.
Now, enter "blocktest" into the search field of the list "assigned handles".
After a second, you should see the file "blocktest.docx" with
... See more
Hi Claire,
for checking if you did everything right, let's do it this way: Open Word, type something and save it as "blocktest.docx" in Word. Keep the file open in Word.
Then, start the resource monitor, open the CPU tab, click the "Process" checkbox in the first list and open the "assigned handles" list below, just as described above.
Now, enter "blocktest" into the search field of the list "assigned handles".
After a second, you should see the file "blocktest.docx" with the path in the list, and it should show that this file is currently opened by Winword.

I tried this here and it works. If you did this and you get the same result, we know that the resource monitor works for you and you did it correctly.

Now, try to open/import one of your translation files in MemoQ again and wait until you get the MemoQ error message. Then, leave everything as it is in MemoQ, return to the resource monitor and enter the file name of the import file in the search field.

Two things can happen now: Either you see the import file in the list - in that case you should be able to identify the process that blocks the file.
Or you don't see the import file in the list. In that case, you can be quite sure that the MemoQ error message is misleading, and there is some other reason why the file cannot be imported. In this case you should consult the MemoQ support, as mentioned above, and see if they can reproduce the problem with your import file.

Hope that helps!
Collapse

Claire Fumoleau-Itani
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Kay-Viktor Sep 5, 2018

Dear Kay-Viktor,

Thank you for taking me through each step.
I followed your instructions exactly and no import file appeared under Assigned Handles, which seems to indicate that it is a MemoQ-related issue... which I will have to take to them.

Many thanks, you have been most helpful!
And many thanks for teaching me how to use Resource Monitor! Most useful

Have a nice evening,
... See more
Dear Kay-Viktor,

Thank you for taking me through each step.
I followed your instructions exactly and no import file appeared under Assigned Handles, which seems to indicate that it is a MemoQ-related issue... which I will have to take to them.

Many thanks, you have been most helpful!
And many thanks for teaching me how to use Resource Monitor! Most useful

Have a nice evening,
Kind regards
Claire
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed to solve new import issue

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »