Recurring performance problem
Thread poster: Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 01:24
German to English
+ ...
May 28, 2018

I have a recurring performance problem with memoQ.

I have the situation that memoQ periodically requires approx. 20 seconds before it responds (this occurs every few minutes).
The only solution I can find is to restart memoQ until it runs normally (sometimes several times), after which it continues to run normally (until restarted, after which the problem may recur). If memoQ has this performance problem, it continues to run poorly (until restarted, after which the problem may
... See more
I have a recurring performance problem with memoQ.

I have the situation that memoQ periodically requires approx. 20 seconds before it responds (this occurs every few minutes).
The only solution I can find is to restart memoQ until it runs normally (sometimes several times), after which it continues to run normally (until restarted, after which the problem may recur). If memoQ has this performance problem, it continues to run poorly (until restarted, after which the problem may recur).
Does anyone else have the same problem, or more importantly, do you have a better solution?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A long shot, but... May 29, 2018

This loss of performance sounds like a memory leak. I doubt it will be in memoQ, but it would not surprise me if it was a leak in Microsoft Word, because perhaps you are using Word for spellchecking on the fly. You can disable spelling on the fly and simply spellcheck at the end, or else use Hunspell as your spellchecker. Check the online help as to how to do it (I would love to help, but am extremely pressed for time today).

(Yes, I know that Hunspell does not check for grammar. Wh
... See more
This loss of performance sounds like a memory leak. I doubt it will be in memoQ, but it would not surprise me if it was a leak in Microsoft Word, because perhaps you are using Word for spellchecking on the fly. You can disable spelling on the fly and simply spellcheck at the end, or else use Hunspell as your spellchecker. Check the online help as to how to do it (I would love to help, but am extremely pressed for time today).

(Yes, I know that Hunspell does not check for grammar. What I do is, at the very end of each job, do an export to a bilingual RTF file and run spellchecker in Word in one go.)
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Task manager May 29, 2018

You could try keeping Task manager open and check CPU/memory allocation when the "freeze" happens to see whether there's some task/program in particular that is draining too many resources.

That's how I found out that Microsoft Edge seems to cause a memory leak on my machine (with W10) if left open for a while (as it ended up gobbling something like 2.5 GB of RAM with just 3 tabs open...).

Personally, I think I never experienced what you describe with MQ, but perhaps it
... See more
You could try keeping Task manager open and check CPU/memory allocation when the "freeze" happens to see whether there's some task/program in particular that is draining too many resources.

That's how I found out that Microsoft Edge seems to cause a memory leak on my machine (with W10) if left open for a while (as it ended up gobbling something like 2.5 GB of RAM with just 3 tabs open...).

Personally, I think I never experienced what you describe with MQ, but perhaps it's also linked to what resources you're using? Like, for instance, enormous TMs, server projects, synchronization options, etc.?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:24
Danish to English
+ ...
Memory May 29, 2018

You don't say which version you're using.

MemoQ 2015 sometimes goes in a memory-eating frenzy where it begins to eat up all available RAM up to my 8 GB, making the computer grind to a halt. I have taken it in using 2 GB for a text of relatively modest size. It seems to happen in technical texts with many special characters.

I reported it to Kilgray support long ago, but getting them to fix things can require a lot of patience.

[Edited at 2018-05-29 13:11 GMT]

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Performance problem May 30, 2018

After running memoQ for several days without problems (I put my computer into "Sleep" mode overnight), I was forced to restart memoQ (because it went into a loop after I pressed an unwanted key combination), and surprise, ..., the performance problem has recurred.
This seems to indicate the problem lies with memoQ (2015).
I opened Windows Task Manager - it did not show any obvious performance problems:
Memory approx. 2.4 GB (4 GB available), main user memoQ (265 MB)
CPU:
... See more
After running memoQ for several days without problems (I put my computer into "Sleep" mode overnight), I was forced to restart memoQ (because it went into a loop after I pressed an unwanted key combination), and surprise, ..., the performance problem has recurred.
This seems to indicate the problem lies with memoQ (2015).
I opened Windows Task Manager - it did not show any obvious performance problems:
Memory approx. 2.4 GB (4 GB available), main user memoQ (265 MB)
CPU: approx. 20%

Update: After successively "killing" non-essential processes, the "brake" seems to be released. The problem seems to be caused by some unknown (to me) trace process.

[Edited at 2018-05-30 07:33 GMT]
Collapse

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Performance problem Oct 3, 2018

This problem keeps reoccuring, but I have found that memoQ "corrects" itself after several minutes (sometimes as long as 20 minutes)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recurring performance problem

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »