Lucia Cavallero Alessandri
Uruguay
Local time: 10:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 13, 2017

Hi!

I have recently received a translation task and part of the requirements is that I leave the formatting intact after completing the translation. That is, my translated file should look exactly as the original looks but in the target language.

The document is a one-page word file with no further issues but the fact that it contains 2 images with text. One is in the form of a chart and the other is a word similar to word art, but again, formatted as an image and pas
... See more
Hi!

I have recently received a translation task and part of the requirements is that I leave the formatting intact after completing the translation. That is, my translated file should look exactly as the original looks but in the target language.

The document is a one-page word file with no further issues but the fact that it contains 2 images with text. One is in the form of a chart and the other is a word similar to word art, but again, formatted as an image and pasted in the doc. I have to keep the pictures exactly the same but change the text within, which sounds pretty much impossible.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!!!
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:02
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
My experience Jul 13, 2017

Lucia Cavallero Alessandri wrote:

Hi!

The document is a one-page word file with no further issues but the fact that it contains 2 images with text. One is in the form of a chart and the other is a word similar to word art, but again, formatted as an image and pasted in the doc. I have to keep the pictures exactly the same but change the text within, which sounds pretty much impossible.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!!!

If you work directly from/in Word, translate everything above and under the images, they are mostly 'impenetrable'.

If you work with a CAT tool, the story is more or less the same, just translate what is translatable.

You are not responsible for the images, unless the agency sends you an independent open/translatable file of the images.

[Edited at 2017-07-13 23:19 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
You need a graphics software Jul 14, 2017

Rename the .docx file to .zip, then open the zip file. It contains some folders, some of these contain all the image files separately.

Edit any image file separately, using a graphics software of your choice. Don't change the image size, and don't make worse the resolution. At the end copy the edited image files back to the .zip file.

And don't forget to charge the client for that additional work.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:02
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Depends how complicated the image is Jul 14, 2017

If the image contains words in a simple text, you should be able to change them in some suitable software (Paint, PhotoShop etc.)

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Turn it down, but not because you are a translator. Jul 14, 2017

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

You are not responsible for the images, unless the agency sends you an independent open/translatable file of the images.

Responsibility? If a client asks for somethingm, you are free to do it or to turn down it. But this has nothing to do with the fact that you have a translator's diploma in a drawer. You are an entrepreneur.

"Yes, of course I'm willing to install some water taps in your house. I'm a plumber after all, and I've got all the neccessary pliers. But your house is secluded and driving cars wasn't part of my vocational training. So please send me a taxi."

Uruguay
Local time: 10:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Jul 14, 2017

Thank you all for your answers!

The words in the images were not editable, so at the end I decided to edit the picture and substitute it with another as similar as I could manage (as agreed with the client, of course).

Changing the file to .zip did not work for me, it didn't separate the pictures, but I'm sure it was something with the file I got and not with the suggestion!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting: How to deal with images

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »