Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I see Nov 16, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:

Merab Dekano wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

I would also recommend CafeTran above memoQ these days, but CafeTran is a special kind of tool, and perhaps better suited for the tinkerer.

I tried to play around with CafeTran today. I managed to set up a couple of test projects, translate some files, deal with tags, etc. I created a source file with “heavy” formatting issues, images, footnotes, endnotes, etc. CafeTran dealt with it very well (even though I don’t really like the interface; too “messy” and it doesn’t optimise the screen surface, in my opinion. I know, you can play with screen configuration, but still.

One thing I cannot get my head around is this “total recall” vs “project TM” thing. Being “old school” guy, I just exported my DVX TM in tmx format (+160MB) and tried to link it to a test project. Not only CafeTran stopped, but also my laptop did (and my laptop is a good one: i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, etc. It’s a gaming laptop, even though I never “game”). I couldn’t find CafeTran in processes to kill it either. Juts had to push and hold the reset button.

It’s clear I am doing something wrong, but my mind functions with one large TM in mind, not with project-based TMs that somehow “dwell” in a “total recall” world, which is total mystery to me.

In other words, I cannot use the tool, not for now.

[Edited at 2018-11-16 20:23 GMT]

Yeah, instead of with a special format of its own, CafeTran works directly with TMXs. However, it cannot handle biggish ones very well, even on super-powered computers with 32GB of RAM. In that case, it's best to import these into a Total Recall database (= SQLite-based) and then let CafeTran extract only the segments that are relevant to your current project into a temporary Total Recall TM.

Thanks, Michael! I see now. Just one curiosity; where is that “total recall” file usually located? Can you save it any folder you decide? Can you “take it with you” when you are out or work on another machine? Can you share it with other CAT tools?

Those are too many questions, but they point to one fear; will I be able to have all my work in one (or just a few) TM files (or “total recall” files for that matter)?

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Some answers Nov 16, 2018

Hello Merab,

- In Edit > Preferences > Memory, assign more memory to CafeTran out of your 32GB RAM. This is one of the first things you need to adjust. In Help > About, CafeTran displays the current usage. CafeTran uses RAM for its memory operations (except for Total Recall, which is database based), and assigns itself only 1024 MB by default, so it obviously choke on a biggish TMX.

- Total Recall is an advanced feature for storing thousands/millions of segments into a
... See more
Hello Merab,

- In Edit > Preferences > Memory, assign more memory to CafeTran out of your 32GB RAM. This is one of the first things you need to adjust. In Help > About, CafeTran displays the current usage. CafeTran uses RAM for its memory operations (except for Total Recall, which is database based), and assigns itself only 1024 MB by default, so it obviously choke on a biggish TMX.

- Total Recall is an advanced feature for storing thousands/millions of segments into a local offline database on your computer, and recalling only the relevant segments, thus creating a much smaller TMX for the job. This, on top of your Project TM and any ad-hoc client TM.

It is explained in the official knowledge base: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions

If you are just trying out the tool, I suggest you don't bother with TR for now (as I said, it is an advanced feature), just assign more RAM to CT and open your TMX files as you did. If you open a TM as read-only (for reference), you can select "Preliminary Memory Matching", it processes it against the project segments at the beginning of the project, making match operations much quicker once it completes its processing (but you can start working right away).

- Here's my own attempt at explaining how to quickly set CafeTran to fit your own needs (appearance, layout, etc.) : https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/6-Getting-comfortable

To stop further hijacking this thread which is about DVX4, I suggest a new forum post is created in the CafeTran section of this forum.

Jean

[Edited at 2018-11-16 23:39 GMT]
Collapse

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you! Nov 17, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Hello Merab,

- Total Recall is an advanced feature for storing thousands/millions of segments into a local offline database on your computer, and recalling only the relevant segments, thus creating a much smaller TMX for the job. This, on top of your Project TM and any ad-hoc client TM.

It is explained in the official knowledge base: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions

If you are just trying out the tool, I suggest you don't bother with TR for now (as I said, it is an advanced feature), just assign more RAM to CT and open your TMX files as you did. If you open a TM as read-only (for reference), you can select "Preliminary Memory Matching", it processes it against the project segments at the beginning of the project, making match operations much quicker once it completes its processing (but you can start working right away).

- Here's my own attempt at explaining how to quickly set CafeTran to fit your own needs (appearance, layout, etc.) : https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/6-Getting-comfortable

To stop further hijacking this thread which is about DVX4, I suggest a new forum post is created in the CafeTran section of this forum.

Jean

[Edited at 2018-11-16 23:39 GMT]

Thank you very much, Jean, for the information!

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:59
Russian to English
DVX3 update Jan 15, 2019

Got an update to DVX3 today.

From https://atril.com/version-history/

Features

Added support for DeepL as a Machine Translation provider
Added support for translating SRT files, including processing embedded HTML
Added support for handling protected editable ranges in Word documents
... See more

From https://atril.com/version-history/

Features

Added support for translating SRT files, including processing embedded HTML
Added support for handling protected editable ranges in Word documents in Office Live filter
Added support for handling text from dropdown lists in Word documents in Office Live filter
Added support for v9 of SYSTRAN API
Added support for v3 of MS Translation API, including use of TLS 1.2
Added support for TLS 1.2 when connecting to TEAMserver
Fixes

Improved handling of floating licenses when connecting to TEAMserver
Improved handling of floating licenses when connecting to TEAMserver
Fix for issues with mapping languages in Transit NXT filter
Large number of improvements and fixes to the Office Live filter, including:
Fix for incorrect processing of entities in embedded HTML markup in red cells in Excel worksheets
Improved handling of index entries in Word documents
Improved handling of document properties in Word documents
Improved handling of hidden sheets in Excel sheets
Improved handling of line breaks in Excel sheets
Improved handling of SmartArt objects
Fix for issue with processing instructions inside CDATA sections in IDML files
Fix for issue with fuzzy match repair when translating into Chinese or Japanese
Fix for issues with accents in the default path names, to address breaking changes in Microsoft’s Jet Engine
Improved handling of project ID collisions

[Edited at 2019-01-15 12:59 GMT]
Collapse

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 11:59
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Jan 15, 2019

Fix for issues with accents in the default path names, to address breaking changes in Microsoft’s Jet Engine
[Edited at 2019-01-15 12:59 GMT]

Problem of Sept 2017 MS Win update is solved in 01.2019 patch.

And still no definite info about DVX4, that should appears in this trimester acc. to last rumours...

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:59
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Has anybody tested the update already? Jan 15, 2019

Alistair Gainey wrote:

Is it safe to update and use it or does the update have some "rotten eggs" inside, like the recent "Studio" updates had?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:59
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Still not working Jan 15, 2019

All those fixes made no change for me: I still can't open any project; I get a message telling me that they may be corrupted.

So, I will uninstall again.

[Edited at 2019-01-15 13:47 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Is this the result of the update ... Jan 15, 2019

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

All those fixes made no change for me: I still can't open any project; I get a message telling me that they may be corrupted.

So, I will uninstall again.

[Edited at 2019-01-15 13:47 GMT]

... because I cannot find any post of you in this thread at hand related to your problems. Good luck anyway, of course!

[Bearbeitet am 2019-01-15 15:17 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Export problems Jan 15, 2019

I remember Epameinondas mentioned about problems with exporting TMs and TBs at https://www.proz.com/forum/déjà_vu_support/325406-dvx3_stopped_creating_projects_on_windows_10.html#2729905

It looks like a Windows problem on your computer but I can try to rescue your assets if they are not corrupted.

Epa
... See more
I remember Epameinondas mentioned about problems with exporting TMs and TBs at https://www.proz.com/forum/déjà_vu_support/325406-dvx3_stopped_creating_projects_on_windows_10.html#2729905

It looks like a Windows problem on your computer but I can try to rescue your assets if they are not corrupted.

Epameinondas, can you send a small TM or TB which does not open on your system?

Selcuk
Collapse

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are there any news about DVX4? Jan 6, 2020

Are there any news about DVX4?

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Perhaps (not so new) news about Atril alias Powerling in general: Jan 7, 2020

https://www.118000.fr/e_C0002650841

They are now under the same roof with the French LSP called "Nord Expansion" (https://www.proz.com/blueboard/18488). I had my own experiences with NE in 2009 and I hope, I do not have to convey them to the "new" Atril.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Atril no more Jan 7, 2020

Atril has disappeared since 18 June 2019, I'm afraid. The link that Matthias cited leads to an outsourcer that appears to have been banned by ProZ.com.
So, as it turns out, all TMs and TBs I created in DVX2 and DVX3 will remain inaccessible forever, unless I find a PC running Windows 7 or earlier. Oh well…

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Not quite true Jan 7, 2020

Epameinondas, this passage from your message is not accurate:

all TMs and TBs I created in DVX2 and DVX3 will remain inaccessible forever, unless I find a PC running Windows 7 or earlier.

I have used DVX3 under Windows 10 for years and still do every working day. So you can certainly access this material under Windows 10 if you have DVX3 installed.

On the other question, Atril is still present on www.atril.com, and Lorenzo Benito (and occasionally Daniel) still answer issues from time to time on the DV e-mail forum, which used to be on Yahoogroups but is now at [email protected]
However, I too have heard nothing specific about DVX4, and I note that there is no longer any blurb about DVX4 on the Atril website, merely a red click box that leads nowhere.

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Not true Jan 7, 2020

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

So, as it turns out, all TMs and TBs I created in DVX2 and DVX3 will remain inaccessible forever

Simply rename the extension of your DV TMs and TBs into .mdb and you´ll be able to open them in MS Access or any other database programm, to import them in other TM or TB systems. Your data won´t be gone in any case.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Accuracy Jan 7, 2020

Dear Victor, the fact that it works on your specific system does not render my statement inaccurate. Those databases will remain inaccessible on my system. Hence, the statement is accurate as far as I am concerned.

That said, it's impressive that a company that has not kept their promises and disappeared still have fans eager to defend them.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there any news about DVX4?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »