How to add MT engine (specifically, Linguee) to bottom left resources in CafeTran Espresso?
Thread poster: Kathleen Kownacki
Kathleen Kownacki
Kathleen Kownacki
United States
Local time: 20:23
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2018

Hi!

I am using CafeTran Espresso 2018090101 (the latest update). I am having a hard time with the MT resource engines in the bottom left corner of the screen. I'd like to get Linguee in there (I was able to use it a few days ago but not now), and I'd like to take some of the other tabs out.

I have tried closing my project and checking and unchecking boxes and also closing and reopening CafeTran and trying with only the boxes I want as resources checked. I am not gettin
... See more
Hi!

I am using CafeTran Espresso 2018090101 (the latest update). I am having a hard time with the MT resource engines in the bottom left corner of the screen. I'd like to get Linguee in there (I was able to use it a few days ago but not now), and I'd like to take some of the other tabs out.

I have tried closing my project and checking and unchecking boxes and also closing and reopening CafeTran and trying with only the boxes I want as resources checked. I am not getting Linguee, though, and I'm still getting other tabs I don't want.

Does anyone know how to straighten out these MT tabs? I saw someone mention somewhere that this may have been a problem before.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Kathleen
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Web resources Oct 11, 2018

Hello Kathleen,

Especially in native projects, CafeTran Espresso stores information about already opened resources and reopens the last open resources for a specific project when you open again that project, regardless of their checked/unchecked status in the Dashboard.

This is quite convenient. You can easily close any unwanted resource from an open project.

Right click on the tab you want to close and select Close tab (other actions include "Close other t
... See more
Hello Kathleen,

Especially in native projects, CafeTran Espresso stores information about already opened resources and reopens the last open resources for a specific project when you open again that project, regardless of their checked/unchecked status in the Dashboard.

This is quite convenient. You can easily close any unwanted resource from an open project.

Right click on the tab you want to close and select Close tab (other actions include "Close other tabs", "Close all tabs"). You can also use the shortcut for closing an active tab (Ctrl+W in Linux and Windows, maybe Cmd+W on Mac).

You can arrange tabs in all sorts of ways: dock, join, float… You can also have them be displayed on top (View > Tabs > uncheck Bottom tabs placement).
Once you have removed a tab for the project, this will be remembered across sessions, unless you specifically check a resource on the Dashboard.

For new projects, a way to refine the available resources is via Project templates.

You can learn more about these features in the official Solutions (knowledge base): https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions For more detailed information on Preferences, Menu and interface, File formats, TM options and Project templates, you can check the "Online Reference Documents" section listed there.

---

Now, for Linguee. First, I would not call Lingue an MT resource but a bilingual concordancer for querying already aligned bilingual corpora.

Linguee is one of the default web resources available in CafeTran, you can add others yourself as well.

If Linguee is not listed in the Dashboard's "Free web resources and images" section, just open your project and add it then.

Here's how: with your project open, go to Resources > Web > Linguee. Just select your language pair and you are all set.

---

About MT engines :

In CafeTran, they come in two forms :

- MT engines queried via their web interface. These can be opened via Resources > Web.
- MT engines queried via an API. These can be reviewed/adjusted in Edit > Preferences (Options) > MT services.

Jean
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Ctrl+W Oct 11, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Right click on the tab you want to close and select Close tab (other actions include "Close other tabs", "Close all tabs"). You can also use the shortcut for closing an active tab (Ctrl+W in Linux and Windows, maybe Cmd+W on Mac).

It's Ctrl+W on a Mac too.

Kathleen Kownacki
Kathleen Kownacki
United States
Local time: 20:23
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. + Too many resources? Oct 11, 2018

Thank you very much for your response, Jean!

What you explained is very helpful, and you are right about Linguee being a concordancer.

I was just toggling through different settings for the resources. I was able to add and remove resources, but as I toggled between adding resources between Resources > Web and Edit > Preferences > MT services, CafeTran seemed to delete some resources.

My question now is: is this normal behavior for this program because I h
... See more
Thank you very much for your response, Jean!

What you explained is very helpful, and you are right about Linguee being a concordancer.

I was just toggling through different settings for the resources. I was able to add and remove resources, but as I toggled between adding resources between Resources > Web and Edit > Preferences > MT services, CafeTran seemed to delete some resources.

My question now is: is this normal behavior for this program because I have added too many for CafeTran to display at once?

And thank you also, Hans. Ctrl+W works.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Wrap tabs Oct 12, 2018

Kathleen Kownacki wrote: I was just toggling through different settings for the resources. I was able to add and remove resources, but as I toggled between adding resources between Resources > Web and Edit > Preferences > MT services, CafeTran seemed to delete some resources.

My question now is: is this normal behavior for this program because I have added too many for CafeTran to display at once?

If you disable MT services from Preferences > MT services, their tab might indeed disappear.

Other than that, you can open as many resources as you need (or as many as your PC can handle, since each tab can require a little more RAM).

When you open many resources, CafeTran offers two tab display modes:

- in one continuous line: in that case, you'll see two little arrows on the right, allowing you to view the tabs that are not visible on the left or on the right. If you don't see all open tabs, this might be the tab display mode you are using.

- in multiple lines (wrap tabs): in that case, all tabs are visible, but in more than one line, if needed.

To toggle this behavior, there are two simple methods: 1. Double-click on any tab. 2. View > Tabs > toggle "Wrap tabs".

---

Tip: Apart from other actions (such as join, dock, float, etc,) you can also rearrange the tabs order, by simple drag and drop.

[Edited at 2018-10-12 06:04 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Overwhelming Oct 12, 2018

CafeTran Espresso 2019's abilities to create a user-defined screen layout can be overwhelming. Even more, when using two or three screens .

You can always draw a sketch (on paper or in a drawing program) with your desired layout, post it and we'll try to list the necessary steps.

Not everything, but nearly everything is possible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add MT engine (specifically, Linguee) to bottom left resources in CafeTran Espresso?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »