Federica Salentino
Federica Salentino  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:29
English to Italian
+ ...
May 3, 2017

Hi there,

I cannot find a way to type the apostrophe using my (Windows) keyboard when translating into IT-CH on WordFast Pro 4. Smart quotes are enabled.
Any help would be much appreciated!

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Switching between virtual keyboards May 3, 2017

This is a general work-around that you may find useful.

The keyboard I am currently using is a QWERTY one, I have set up Windows with with EN-UK and FR-FR language packs and with those two input languages and their associated keyboards. (EN-US was there, but I got rid of it.) I have set up a keyboard shortcut (WIN key + spacebar in my case, but you can set any shortcut sequence you like) to toggle between QWERTY and AZERTY keyboard layouts. when I want to type in French, I simply u
... See more
This is a general work-around that you may find useful.

The keyboard I am currently using is a QWERTY one, I have set up Windows with with EN-UK and FR-FR language packs and with those two input languages and their associated keyboards. (EN-US was there, but I got rid of it.) I have set up a keyboard shortcut (WIN key + spacebar in my case, but you can set any shortcut sequence you like) to toggle between QWERTY and AZERTY keyboard layouts. when I want to type in French, I simply use the shortcut to toggle the same keyboard to AZERTY format. If I forget where e.g. the asterisk is on the AZERTY keyboard, I toggle back to QWERTY for that one keystroke and then back to AZERTY. This might sound complicated, but it's really fast to do. If you have more than two languages/keyboard layouts set up, then it can be better to set up specific keyboard shortcuts for each, rather than a single toggle shortcut.

To demonstrate, here's the last sentence above typed with the keyboard set to AZERTY:
If you hqve ,ore thqn tzo lqnguqges!keyboqrd lqyouts set up; then it cqn be better to set up specific keyboqrd shortcuts for eqch; rqther thqn q single toggle shortcut:

QWERTY:
AZERTY : M0 :‑[

[Edited at 2017-05-03 14:58 GMT]
Collapse

Federica Salentino
Germany
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Changing the keyboard won't affect my typing in Wordfast May 6, 2017

Thank you B D Finch for your reply!
Unfortunately it is not a matter of Windows keyboard.
When translating into IT-CH Wordfast seems to use a Swiss keyboard where all the keys are placed just like in an Italian (IT-IT) keyboard, only the apostrophe is missing.
Just out of curiosity, how would you type an apostrophe on an AZERTY keyboard (no toggling)?
Thanks again!

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Have a look to these possibilities May 7, 2017

Federica_Sa wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how would you type an apostrophe on an AZERTY keyboard (no toggling)?
Thanks again!

Depending of the apostrophe (curly or straight), you could use the ASCII codes Alt +039 or Alt + 0146

If it doesn't work (it should), you could consider this opportunity with the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/globalization/keyboardlayouts.aspx

and see how it works with this excellent Tuto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Gai7gRb5k&feature=youtu.be

MKLC is also compatible Windows 10 (I use it with an AZERTY keyboard)) even if not indicated in the documentation. With such a solution, you have not to toggle and you can also define some other characters if needed.

Hope this helps!

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Have a look to these possibilities May 7, 2017

Federica_Sa wrote:

Thanks again!

Depending of the apostrophe (curly or straight), you could use the ASCII codes Alt +039 or Alt + 0146

If it doesn't work (it should), you could consider this opportunity with the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/globalization/keyboardlayouts.aspx

and see how it works with this excellent Tuto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Gai7gRb5k&feature=youtu.be

MKLC is also compatible Windows 10 (I use it with an AZERTY keyboard)) even if not indicated in the documentation. With such a solution, you have not to toggle and you can also define some other characters if needed.

Hope this helps!

Federica Salentino
Germany
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ASCII codes work! May 8, 2017

Adrien Esparron wrote:

Hi Adrien,

thanks, the ASCII codes work perfectly! I don't know why I hadn't thought of them before!
Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFP 4: How do I type an apostrophe with IT-CH as target language

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »