Durham (UK) based native English translators - invitation to take part in cutting-edge research
Thread poster: Callum Walker
Callum Walker
Callum Walker  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:47
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 4, 2016

Calling all DURHAM-based native English translators!!

In addition to my day job as a translator, I'm currently working towards a PhD in Translation Studies at UCL and am carrying out some fascinating empirical research in Durham into the way that translation can affect a reader's perception of a text.

My research uses cutting-edge eye-tracking technology to measure people's responses to a text as they read and this data will be used to draw some interesting conc
... See more
Calling all DURHAM-based native English translators!!

In addition to my day job as a translator, I'm currently working towards a PhD in Translation Studies at UCL and am carrying out some fascinating empirical research in Durham into the way that translation can affect a reader's perception of a text.

My research uses cutting-edge eye-tracking technology to measure people's responses to a text as they read and this data will be used to draw some interesting conclusions about the effects of translation on reader perception. The eye-tracker is totally non-invasive (it uses infra-red cameras, so nothing is attached to your head or anything else like that!).

The research is taking place at Durham University (city centre) and will take up no more than 30 minutes of your time.

I'm holding two all-day sessions on Thursday 18th February and Wednesday 24th February. If you think you might have time to spare to help with my research then please get in touch with me either via ProZ or directly via email to [email protected] or [email protected].

There are only three criteria for research participants:
- that your native language is English (any type - UK, US, etc.)
- that you do not suffer with epilepsy (due to the nature of the eye-tracking equipment, which uses IR light)
- that you are not dyslexic (or similar) (as this changes the way people read, and this is not the focus of my research)

If you have any queries let me know and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

[Edited at 2016-02-04 11:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-04 11:10 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Beautiful Durham Feb 4, 2016

I can't attend this myself but for anyone who has never been to Durham, it's one of the most beautiful cities in Britain, with a very early Romanesque/Norman cathedral in a dramatic setting high above the river. This research gives you the perfect excuse to go there and deduct your train fare from your taxable income !

http://www.durhamcathedral.co.uk

[Edited at 2016-02-04 12:26 GMT]

Charlotte Farrell
Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Do you need to be a translator? Feb 4, 2016

I live in Newcastle so could potentially come along. My husband may be interested too, but he's not a translator - does that matter?

Callum Walker
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
By all means, yes Feb 4, 2016

Charlotte Farrell wrote:

I live in Newcastle so could potentially come along. My husband may be interested too, but he's not a translator - does that matter?

Hi Charlotte,
You don't have to be a translator at all, no. I only targeted my post as such given the target audience of this forum. So anybody can take part - translator or not - the only (main) criterion is that they are a native speaker of English.
If you'd like more information on it I can send over the information sheet which I distribute to participants beforehand with the consent form?
Should you be interested send me an email to [email protected] with your email address and I'll send it over
Cheers,
Callum

Callum Walker
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Couldn't agree more! Feb 4, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

I can't attend this myself but for anyone who has never been to Durham, it's one of the most beautiful cities in Britain, with a very early Romanesque/Norman cathedral in a dramatic setting high above the river. This research gives you the perfect excuse to go there and deduct your train fare from your taxable income !

The title of my response says it all! Wonderful city... if you like walking, that is!

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:47
French to English
Bill Bryson Feb 4, 2016

Callum Walker wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

The title of my response says it all! Wonderful city... if you like walking, that is!

has oft waxed lyrical about the beauty of Durham. I would say it's the quintessential English town, with the castle and cathedral, the river winding lazily below, students larking about, quaint shops and curious alleys with even curiouser names, tea shop counters laden with all sorts of deliciously sticky gooey cakes, and Gareth at the pub on the corner is a right charmer as well as working hard to find a drink your difficult daughter will drink.

And the university is top-flight too, I know another research worker blazing new trails in anthropology.

All perfectly good reasons to attend and I certainly wish I could!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Too bad about the EGREGIOUS Bryson Feb 4, 2016

Here's the view from the railway station:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Durham_cathedral_from_railway_station.jpg

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Durham (UK) based native English translators - invitation to take part in cutting-edge research

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »