CAT tool for iPad Pro? Any that works on iOS?
Thread poster: Mara Fernandez
Mara Fernandez
Mara Fernandez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 3, 2017

Hello!

I am an interpreter who's recently started to take small translations projects which i was working on using CafeTran in my MacBook Pro, however while traveling i do not pack my MacBook because its a very heavy (older) version and would love to know if there are any CAT tools that I can use on my iPad while away. So far, i have been looking for apps with no luck so would appreciate any information regarding the matter!

Thank you all!

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 10:36
Any browser-based online CAT tool should do Apr 3, 2017

memsource, wordbee, wordfast anywhere etc. Michael Beijer made a list of these:

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/306817-making_a_comprehensive_list_of_all_online_cat_tools_currently_available_pls_help.html

[Edited at 2017-04-03 21:02 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
And dictation software as well Apr 3, 2017

It's been shown that typing on a hard flat surface is bad for your fingers in the long term. If you value your hands, you will:

a) Connect a regular keyboard to your iPad, or
b) Get a laptop to work properly

iPads are toys. Unless you're in other industries or markets (hospitality, health care, inventory control, customer service, taxi driving, cable TV installation or repair, and more), tablets are not designed for desktop work, no matter what others say.
... See more
It's been shown that typing on a hard flat surface is bad for your fingers in the long term. If you value your hands, you will:

a) Connect a regular keyboard to your iPad, or
b) Get a laptop to work properly

iPads are toys. Unless you're in other industries or markets (hospitality, health care, inventory control, customer service, taxi driving, cable TV installation or repair, and more), tablets are not designed for desktop work, no matter what others say.

I almost forgot: if you use dictation software on your iPad, maybe, just maybe you can do without a keyboard.

I have more than 26 years of experience as a translator and I've used all sorts of hardware, keyboards and mice to do my work. And I'm writing this on a sturdy Dell full keyboard, using a large mouse, on a browser on my 15-inch MacBook Pro. Note: I'm traveling; I have better equipment at home.

Cheers!
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Sylvia Hatzl

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 16:36
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Connect My Mac Apr 4, 2017

More than 5 years ago, I tried Connect My Mac, in other words, use your Mac at home on your iPad.

Cheers,

Hans

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
iPad Pro Apr 4, 2017

Mara Fernandez wrote:

I am an interpreter who's recently started to take small translations projects which i was working on using CafeTran in my MacBook Pro, however while traveling i do not pack my MacBook because its a very heavy (older) version and would love to know if there are any CAT tools that I can use on my iPad while away. So far, i have been looking for apps with no luck so would appreciate any information regarding the matter!

Wow, an iPad Pro ... congratulations!

I think no computer is lighter than an iPad Pro indeed:

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 09.49.26

I came up with two different approaches:

• On your MacBook Pro you use CafeTran to create a bilingual review table, that you can translate on your iPad Pro (e.g. with Word for iOS).
  • On your iPad Pro you install TeamViewer for iOS and you use this to log on to your MacBook Pro at home, running CafeTran. (I'm happy to explore this scenario, since I find it interesting too.)

Mara Fernandez
Mara Fernandez  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trying Wordfast Apr 21, 2017

Hello everyone. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently trying out Wordfast in their web based version which you are able to acces from the iPad (even from the iPhone) and I have to say I truly appreciate the ease of being able to work on docs both from iPad and laptop without doing anything more than just logging in. I am however having problems with the TM and creation of glosaries when using the iPad, not sure if it's my account or that the iPad interface won't allow for editing of these. <... See more
Hello everyone. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently trying out Wordfast in their web based version which you are able to acces from the iPad (even from the iPhone) and I have to say I truly appreciate the ease of being able to work on docs both from iPad and laptop without doing anything more than just logging in. I am however having problems with the TM and creation of glosaries when using the iPad, not sure if it's my account or that the iPad interface won't allow for editing of these.

I'll keep looking for other alternatives and keep everyone posted!
Collapse

Sylvia Hatzl

Simona Sgro
Simona Sgro  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Interesting Oct 31, 2017

Hi Mara, I find your post very interesting because I'm evaluating the chance to use an Ipad Pro as main device. I basically work on marketing, retail and tourism and transcreations therefore I rarely use cat tools. I've used wordfast anywhere in the past and it would be great to use it on the ipad. Are you still using it? Do you still have issues with that?

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

How was your experience? Jun 24, 2019

I've had the dilemma of an almost ageing MacBook (2015 model) and whether to update it or try something else.

So instead of replacing it altogether, I've just purchased my own 12.9 inch iPad Pro.

How have your experiences with it been?

Any tips/tricks?

Cheers!
DJH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tool for iPad Pro? Any that works on iOS?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »