Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:35
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 10, 2017

I have a small problem, that is to say, my client has, which makes it mine too. I work with Studio 2014/2015 and the client with Wordbee.

I received a file in XLF, which I translated in Studio 2014, saved the target as XLF, and sent the translated XLF file to the client. So far, so good.

Client opens the XLF file in Wordbee, and notices that some segments are not translated and contacts me. I check, but everything is translated, for the full 100%.

Client se
... See more
I have a small problem, that is to say, my client has, which makes it mine too. I work with Studio 2014/2015 and the client with Wordbee.

I received a file in XLF, which I translated in Studio 2014, saved the target as XLF, and sent the translated XLF file to the client. So far, so good.

Client opens the XLF file in Wordbee, and notices that some segments are not translated and contacts me. I check, but everything is translated, for the full 100%.

Client send me screenshots of the "untranslated" segments and I check them again. Still translated, only I noticed that there where the screenshots (= Wordbee) are showing 1 sentence in 1 segment, Studio translated the same sentence over 2 or more segments, so different layout.

I think that the problem here is that Wordbee can't read a XLF file translated in Studio.

I don't know anything about Wordbee, but I always thought that a XLF file is a XLF file, regardless of the CAT. Apparently not, and since we are talking here about a file of +55.000 words, I would like to know if anyone out there knows a way how to solve this problem!

Thank you.

[Edited at 2017-02-10 21:50 GMT]
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Clarifications Feb 10, 2017

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
the screenshots (= Wordbee) are showing 1 sentence in 1 segment, Studio translated the same sentence over 2 or more segments

You mean, Trados sub-segmented the segments created by Wordbee, creating several Trados segments out of one Wordbee segment?

Also, did you send the client an SDLXLIFF file or an XLF file exported from Trados?

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Endre Feb 10, 2017

"You mean, Trados sub-segmented the segments created by Wordbee, creating several Trados segments out of one Wordbee segment?"

- YES

"Also, did you send the client an SDLXLIFF file or an XLF file exported from Trados?"

- XLF file exported from Trados

Endre Both
Germany
English to German
Check xlf file type settings Feb 10, 2017

There is a setting in the xlf file type that precludes Trados from saving its own segmentation in exported xlf files (see screenshot). Try unchecking that. I'm not sure if it will have an effect for already imported files though. If not, maybe you could reimport the exported xlf file again with the modified settings and see if it removes the segmentation info from the previous round.

10-02-2017 18-04-23

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And for Wordbee? Feb 10, 2017

Endre Both wrote:

There is a setting in the xlf file type that precludes Trados from saving its own segmentation in exported xlf files (see screenshot). Try unchecking that. I'm not sure if it will have an effect for already imported files though. If not, maybe you could reimport the exported xlf file again with the modified settings and see if it removes the segmentation info from the previous round.

10-02-2017 18-04-23

Thank you, but I already sent the file. What you are suggesting, would mean I have to go through the whole file again (and +55.000 words are a lot of words!).

Do you know if Wordbee has a function like that? Would save me a lot, lot of time.

Endre Both
Germany
English to German
Re-sending? Feb 10, 2017

Sure, but you could re-send the corrected file, no?

If Wordbee were able to deal with subsegmented translation units, I guess it wouldn't have just skipped them on import. I doubt that there's an import setting for that, as that would imply a choice between two sensible options. Wordbee's behaviour as described doesn't make sense - it just seems to be a gap in the implementation.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
XLF not always the same Feb 11, 2017

You'd expect it to be, but is not always so. Various outsourcers/xlf tool vendors create their own extensions, or implement only part of the XLF specification.

Some tools recognize the seg-source element, some others will look only at the source and target elements in the xlf file structure, which I guess is the case with Wordbee.

It is a good thing that the developers of Trados Studio anticipated this and provided an option to prevent the carry-over of segmentation.... See more
You'd expect it to be, but is not always so. Various outsourcers/xlf tool vendors create their own extensions, or implement only part of the XLF specification.

Some tools recognize the seg-source element, some others will look only at the source and target elements in the xlf file structure, which I guess is the case with Wordbee.

It is a good thing that the developers of Trados Studio anticipated this and provided an option to prevent the carry-over of segmentation.

You did not know that (neither did I, though I use Studio since ver. 2011) but surely not all segments in your file have been resegmented, and your translation is in the TM, right?

Redoing the project should not be a problem then.

Piotr
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Piotr Feb 11, 2017

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

It is a good thing that the developers of Trados Studio anticipated this and provided an option to prevent the carry-over of segmentation.

You did not know that (neither did I, though I use Studio since ver. 2011) but surely not all segments in your file have been resegmented, and your translation is in the TM, right?

Redoing the project should not be a problem then.

Piotr

Thank you for the info. I just created a new file based on the tip of Endre and sent it off to the client. It is weekend now, so I have to wait till Monday for an answer. I will keep you both posted.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't work Feb 13, 2017

@Endre / Piotr

I received answer from the client, and the result is still the same, most of the text is translated except for some segments.

Maybe it has nothing to do with segmentation, but then WHAT?

Endre Both
Germany
English to German
Exported file checked? Feb 13, 2017

Hi Robert, did you check the differences between the first and the second file? Are there indeed no <seg-source> tags in the entire file?

If there are none, I would be happy to take a look at the files to see if there is any other possible reason.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Endre Feb 13, 2017

Endre Both wrote:

Hi Robert, did you check the differences between the first and the second file? Are there indeed no tags in the entire file?

If there are none, I would be happy to take a look at the files to see if there is any other possible reason.

I don't think Trados is the problem. I received a XLF source file (made up in Wordbee), divided into segments. I translated the segments as normal, and that is it. What else can I do?

It is Wordbee that misreads the file. If it wouldn't read the file at all, but it reads most parts, except not all, and it looks at random! That is what I think is strange.

Thank you for your offer, I will take it into consideration. I will need the OK from the client for this. Lets first see what he is coming up with.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wrong button Feb 13, 2017

The client pushed the wrong button in Wordbee. Everything seems to work now.

Thank you for all the help.

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:05
English to Hindi
+ ...
It reminded me of almost a similar situation Feb 15, 2017

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

The client pushed the wrong button in Wordbee. Everything seems to work now.

Thank you for all the help.

I was on a call with a client in US once, while trying to explain and work around a solution.

"Please click the "x" button?"

"clicked, nothing happened!"

And it took me quite a while to solve a simple issue. However, I have forgotten the complete scenario and am left with a small part of it only.

There was nothing wrong with the solution provided, except that he was pressing the wrong button.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since three days

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014 versus Worbee

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »