Best CAT tool to open Trados files
Thread poster: Anne-Marie Gerritsen
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 14:39
Translation features Feb 13, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

For the time being I consider the pure translation features of both cat tools equivalent in quality and usability.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'translation features'. If you mean what I'd like to call text editing features, I'd say that CafeTran offers some features that MS Word offers too, but Studio doesn't (smart detection of words and word groups, smart space handling when moving words around, automatic case adaption when replacing words via Find and Replace or when transposing words via the keyboard, and some more).

editing

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
What I mean are real features, not cosmetics Feb 14, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'translation features'. (...)

What I mean are the essential features every translator should be looking for. Some companies sell their CAT tools with the idea that you 'manage' your translation project and tell how the interface is wonderful to achieve this management. Nonsense. I don't care about such functionality, instead I'm looking for essential features that will me make translate faster and give me total feedback of my memory databases.
The features I'm looking for are :

- How good is the matching rate, does it express what it tells to do in the description?
- Auto-Concordance, so I don't have to search manually; Autotype, so I have to type less
- All what's in my database should be displayed: fragment matches, commonly called subsegment matches
- Autopropagation, pre-translation (old-school features, but still useful)
- Handling of documents with tables of all sort for import (this is what agencies send me most)
- Last but not least: How flexible can you setup and change all the above?

Everything else can be found in some Windows apps (or Mac, or Linux) and I don't need a CAT for it, also it would be superfluous, pure cosmetics...

Also, in order to close the circle for the OP's question: I think that CAT producers tend to make their product as *incompatible* as possible, so you have to buy their stuff and not use their 'documents' in other CAT tools. This politic has weakned recently but it's still in the foreground. So I guess it will not remain easy to use SDLXLIFF files in other tools, SDL will make it harder to achieve that...

Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-14 00:37 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Studio files Feb 14, 2017

At the core*) of each Studio project are XLIFF files that follow an open standard. Other CAT tools can deal with these files very well and thus handle Studio files perfectly.

The next challenge for the programmers of these tools will be to support tracking changes in Studio files. Once that is solved, there are no more reasons to stick to Studio, as far as the handling of SDLXLIFF is concerned.

Of course there can be many other reasons to use Studio, but they are all
... See more
At the core*) of each Studio project are XLIFF files that follow an open standard. Other CAT tools can deal with these files very well and thus handle Studio files perfectly.

The next challenge for the programmers of these tools will be to support tracking changes in Studio files. Once that is solved, there are no more reasons to stick to Studio, as far as the handling of SDLXLIFF is concerned.

Of course there can be many other reasons to use Studio, but they are all from other categories (user interface, file format filters, appstore etc.). The user interface is probably the most subjective category, which doesn't mean that it cannot be the crucial reason to vote for a specific CAT tool.

*) Sometimes Studio projects contain termbases. You should either export them (for which you need Studio with or without a plug-in as Glossary Converter) or use a tool that can deal with these termbases. Or you could simply ask your client for an Excel list with the terms.
Collapse

Anne-Marie Gerritsen
Anne-Marie Gerritsen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for a ton of info already Feb 14, 2017

I'm already learning to use cafetran and so for so good but I do miss a manual so will try and use another one as well.

Have to say special big thanks to Samuel; you've been a great help and seem to be someone with a lot of knowledge too!
And, of course, thanks to everyone for contributing, it has all been helpful and a very interesting read.

Happy translating everyone on this beautiful Valentines Da
... See more
I'm already learning to use cafetran and so for so good but I do miss a manual so will try and use another one as well.

Have to say special big thanks to Samuel; you've been a great help and seem to be someone with a lot of knowledge too!
And, of course, thanks to everyone for contributing, it has all been helpful and a very interesting read.

Happy translating everyone on this beautiful Valentines Day

See you around
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best CAT tool to open Trados files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »